Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2003, 03:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to minx
Fungus that just won't go away

A while back I noticed my Corys had a bout of fungus, mainly on their lower fins.

I duly dosed the tank with some anti fungus treatment and it cleared up. Only problem is that every time I stop the treatment it just comes straight back.

I think the fungus started when I was spending quite a lot of time in the week working away - my automatic feeder was dropping the food into a different corner of the tank to where I usually feed them & I think I overloaded the feeder. However, this was mid October - I've cut down the food accordingly, kept a close eye on water quality but it just doesn't seem to want to go away!

Any ideas for zapping it once and for all? I'm getting a new tank very soon & don't want to transfer any disease when I move my Corys.

Incidentally, on the topic of fungus treatment, it's always wise to take heed of the bit about the treatment reducing the oxygen content of the tank - I found my Corys gasping for breath and dashing for a gulp of air every minute after treating for a week or so ... easily resolved by an air pump but can't have been nice for the poor little mites!

Old 01-11-2003, 08:49 AM   #2

well, first of all, how well do you clean your tank, vacuum your gravel , and such? how often? how big is the tank? how many fish? etc? what are your water chemistry parameters? that would help a lot in correcting such a longstanding problem....

Old 01-11-2003, 09:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to minx
I clean every week-10 days @15% each time.

Water parameters are OK ... ammonia and nitrite are 0, pH about 7.5.

Fish - 4 Bronze Corys

I vacuum the gravel each water change, although one of the parts of the tank that doesn't get vaccumed is a corner hidden by a log which the Corys like to hide behind. Can the fungus live in the gravel?

I've since moved the log (much to the Corys disgust!) and had a good clean around. I'm hoping the Cory's are clear now - I stopped the treatment last week and there's no sign of a return yet. Fingers crossed!

Tags
fungus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com