Fuzz on ragged tail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had this guy for just under a week. He was in pretty bad shape when I got him. He was not eating and is not very active.

I just stared treatment for internal parasites yesterday. (I'm treating as a precautionary) I am using parasite clear, tank buddies by Jungle.

Since treatment I have finally seen him eat, could be because of treatment, could be he is jut settled in a bit. Either way I am happy.

Today I noticed his tail fin looked a bit "fuzzy" do you think it could be a fungus or bacterial infection? I tried to get a pic but it's not very clear? And if so should I get something to clear it up or do you think the parasite clear with help with this as it says on the back helps heal ragged tail fin?

About tank:

He is in a 20G tank with a 2.5" pleco. I do daily water changes from10-30% to ensure good water quality and promote healing! All readings perfect! Temp 74 ph 7.5

Please any advise would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image-446522206.jpg
    image-446522206.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 69
So my EBJD died tonight. I'm a little disappointed bc he was ill when I brought him home. I will be returning him tomorrow and ordering a replacement!

I seem to be ranting to my self lol but I'm a little livid!

The lfs told me I couldn't get a replacement bc I didn't buy a membership! What kind of crock is that? I even asked when I picked him up how long of a warranty I had on the fish and they said seven days, now it's seven days only if you bought the membership....they have lost a potential customer! It was my fish purchase with them and it shall be my last!

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

You bought a sick fish. It sounds like you knew you were buying a sick fish. If he died, I'm not sure where the element of surprise is coming from.

Also, you don't purposely buy a sick fish and place it in a tank with a healthy fish.

Well what had happened was I prepaid for a fish that was a special order and when I picked him up his fins were nipped at...I didn't think to much of it an thought it would be no trouble for him to grow them back. When I got him home I rearranged the tank and acclimatized him slowly. He was in the tank with two jewel cichlids for one night. When I got up I noticed his fins were a bit more nipped at, that's when I removed the jewels and had him in the tank alone. After a day I noticed he wasn't eating and started treating for internal parasites as I had originally planned. After an application of the meds the next day there was a cottony white fluff formed around the end of his tail, I dosed with another round of meds and the following day he was dead. (every day that I had him I did 25-40% water changes.) I guess I'm surprised at how he went down hill so fast, and that they won't replace him.

Niki said:
Well what had happened was I prepaid for a fish that was a special order and when I picked him up his fins were nipped at...I didn't think to much of it an thought it would be no trouble for him to grow them back. When I got him home I rearranged the tank and acclimatized him slowly. He was in the tank with two jewel cichlids for one night. When I got up I noticed his fins were a bit more nipped at, that's when I removed the jewels and had him in the tank alone. After a day I noticed he wasn't eating and started treating for internal parasites as I had originally planned. After an application of the meds the next day there was a cottony white fluff formed around the end of his tail, I dosed with another round of meds and the following day he was dead. (every day that I had him I did 25-40% water changes.) I guess I'm surprised at how he went down hill so fast, and that they won't replace him.

Oh and yes the manager is the one who said they will not replace him.

If he was a special order ( I know the species can be difficult to find ), I'm really surprised that the store didn't take better care with him. I would most definitely hold them at fault. However, that said, you should've just refused to purchase him after seeing his condition.

I agree, it was partly my fault as well...I guess I was just so excited to get him and I didn't think he was in such bad shape. He seemed fairly active at the store but completely did 360 once in my tank.

I intend to keep my 20G as a hospital/QT tank. Should I treat it with an anti fungal for the future? How do I keep the BB alive?

Honestly, if its fluffy and white, it kind of sounds like a fungal fin rot. I've seen fin rot appear on fins that were already frayed and damaged... I'd do some sort of fungal treatment!

Thanks, will do.

And how about my BB? should
I just feed it flake good? Will that keep everything in check? Or should I keep at least one fish in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom