Fuzzy looking stuff in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark1092

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a freshwater aquarium (5g) with one betta fish, with a filter and heater... The heater is supported in the water by rubber suction cups, both cups are submerged. The outside of these cups are covered perfectly with white/cloudy/furry looking stuff. It is very slimy. It is only on the two rubber suction cups, nowhere else in the tank. I have cleaned the cups before, the stuff comes off fairly easily. As soon as the cups are back underwater, the stuff starts growing back the very next day. It is not spreading onto the glass, but does look quite thick in some places (maybe even connecting the two cups together). The fish seems uninterested in it, and overall seems well.

Any suggestions on what this fast-growing stuff is?

Cheers

It was near impossible to photograph, that's as good as I can get. The white hazy stuff is what I'm talking about, you can see it behind the heater on the cups.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 158
I have the same stuff in my planted 10g

Its on the top of my heater and it accumulates on the ceramic disc that's in my co2 diffuser

I have no idea what it is but it kind of looks like a calcium deposit but its soft

Calcium is hard so I don't think its calcium but idk what it could be

Sent from my HTC Magic using Aquarium

I have no clue. The only white fuzzy stuff I've come across had been from rapid decay. Mold like stuff. That's odd.

It's so light... I just got one of the cups off and when it snapped loose the clump of it flew off into different pieces, flew around for a bit before being sucked towards the filter now it's just stuck there... Don't really feel like moving it because it just falls apart and goes everywhere. Really annoying actually, to get rid of it is a pain in the *** because it just goes everywhere. And it grows back so quickly.

It might just be the outer layer of plastic melting essentially. I ahve had this happen and no harm was done so i would be fretting you could just get a paper towel and wipe it of though if it bothers you

Back
Top Bottom