garlic infused coconut oil in my tank harmful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martylise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few fish I'm trying to treat for internal parasites and was told to use metroplex with coconut oil infused with garlic to make them eat. I soaked the food in garlic/coconut oil and put it in the tank. They didn't eat and the oil has created a grey haze in my 90 gal tank and there is a film on the top of the water. Will this harm my fish and do you think my marineland 400 and marineland 150 will clear this up or will I have to start my tank all over again? :(

Not sure but you might try turning of the filter, letting the water be still and use a paper towel horizontally laying it on the surface similar to how one might try to get fat off a cooking pot.

I would run a pouch of carbon for a week. And maybe another pouch just for good measure.

About now, thinking of that saying.... oil and water don't mix.

You can use juice squeezed from the clove of garlic, some fish will eat the food then.

And a good bunch of pwc's.

Do the fish seem to have any breathing problems? Or seem stressed?

Hi thanks for the info, we did a 60% water change and wipes the sides down with paper towel soaked in vinegar and water and changed two filters and a new batch of carbon. The fish don't seem stressed and not having breathing issues. It was probably a teaspoon of oil in the food. Took their advice and stupidly didn't think about oil and water not mixing. As long as it doesn't harm them and hopefully the filters can handle it

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update, the tank has cleared and we have put 4 fish in a hospital tank for observation because they stopped eating and had long white stringy poo. Treating the water with Metroplex.. fingers crossed.. hope it works. Tha ks again everyone for the advice.

young turquoise rainbow..dying desperate for info

my young female turquoise rainbow stopped eating about 2 wks ago so I put her in a hospital tank and was treating the water with Metroplex and daily water changes....she had no external signs of anything wrong...no weird poo...no poo at all...just got really thin and still seemed active but never would eat and he would stay near the top of the tank...this morning I notices a round brownish spot midway on her side..looked like a bruise...then she started having difficulty staying level and was dropping to the bottom of the tank..she is now on her back fighting to stay alive...I have searched and searched the internet to see what this could be and I purchased $140 dollars worth of different meds that are being shipped...Polyguard, Pimafix, focus, metroplex, sulfaplex. I have only used the metroplex in her water so far...it hasn't helped and I see other fish also starting to refuse food and isolate in corners...I feel so bad that I don't know what to do to help them...does anyone know what this could this be and how to treat it? All water parameters are perfect...no carbon in the filter..no light on tank..75 degrees water..no heater. any help would be very welcomed and appreciated. :(

Check through Columnaris skin legions, and possibly Neon Tetra disease (Pleistophora Hyphessobryconis) descriptions. I wish I could provide better info.

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestions...I have been reading endlessly through symptoms and signs and diseases..unfortunately she has died..poor little girl and I have other fish not eating now and behaving strangely..I really would like to know what this is so I can save my others. I took some pictures of her and posted them in "Unhealthy fish" if I magnify the picture I can see tiny black dots all around under her throat and chest area..not sure if this is normal for a turquoise rainbow or if it is a disease.

Check through Columnaris skin legions, and possibly Neon Tetra disease (Pleistophora Hyphessobryconis) descriptions. I wish I could provide better info.
I have looked at Neon Tetra disease and it isn't that...she didn't have any lesions and she is the first and only fish I have lost so far...no dead fish bodies in the tank for her to have eaten.

Back
Top Bottom