Garlic study

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
A small research thread where I can post links (as I tend to delete ones off iPhone accidentally). Looking into uses of garlic and probably other natural remedies for unhealthy fish (yes, I'm not allowed more fish tanks so bored).

I don't need to treat anything, this is just for interest but anyone that has used more natural products (either commercial or home-made) to treat unhealthy fish, I'd be interested in results - good or bad. Feel free to post any links as well.

Not really likely to come up with a conclusion, more looking at work done / tank experiences to at least start with.

Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Garlic Can Kill Parasites | Advanced Aquarium Concepts

https://www.researchgate.net/public...vier_1818_fed_diets_containing_Allium_sativum

Me never...my grandfather raised bass, sunfish, talapia, and cats for pond stocking for 40 years or so. He dripped it into all stock ponds and swore by it. This was the 70s. No one listened to the old guy. Did it work or help....no idea. I know he was very successful and stocked ponds all over Florida and Georgia.

Actually quite interesting.

I remember one thread treating SW ich that had no success. Trying to find it again. Apparently it has been suggested for flea treatments in dogs but there may be toxicity issues. Perhaps as post #13 has below. Seems that concentration level may be important but that could be said for all meds.

Battered Clown Fish - Page 2

The paper was pretty interesting. Quite a few videos out there to watch yet on the weekend.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...vier_1818_fed_diets_containing_Allium_sativum

The effects of garlic on infections are well known, thus this immunostimulatory plant is increasingly used to reduce parasitic infestations in farmed fish (Martins et al., 2002; Shalaby et al., 2006; Nya and Austin, 2009; Shakya and Labh, 2014;Breyer et al., 2015). The present study has shown such effects to reduce infestations by A. spathulatus in the fish gills. Similarly, for P. mesopotamicus fed diets containing garlic at 1, 1.5
and 2 g/kg diet for 15 days, Martins et al. (2002) reported reduced gill infestation rates by A. penilabiatus of 53, 65 and 59%, respectively. Therefore, such results support the use of
garlic in diets when dealing with parasitic gill infections.

I do use it my dogs and have for a long time. As well as chickens and rabbits. Apple cider vinegar (mother) and garlic are deeply entrenched in southern culture.

Back
Top Bottom