Gary the Betta - not really eating...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artsiren

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay I got a betta about 2 days ago - and he doesn't seem to be eating... I've tried three different types of food - two of them flakes and one of them pellets... he just eats them and then spits them back out. He seems healty enough - he's still swimming along and happy to see me, but i don't want to come home one day to a belly up betta... any advice??
thanks alot
~Elizabeth

I've noticed that sometimes Betta's are picky. Don't get discouraged on the pellets as they are very nutritional. What kind are you using? You could also try feeding him frozen blood worms, but a diet that's a variety is best.

What kind of environment is he in- tank or bowl? What's the temperature of the water?

Bettas are extremly arrogant.

If you change anything in their enviroment they could protest their disliking of it and go on a hunger strike.

I know from first hand experiance. I usually don't worry about it unless they go more than 4 or 5 days without eating.

I had good success with feeding frozen worms at first, and then slowly adding flakes to the mix. Try that?

Gary lives in a 2 gallon tank, and the foods I've trie have been BettaMin Tropical Medley, Aqua culture Betta Micro-Pellet Food, and the flake food that came with the tank. I'm thinking on just picking one of the flake foods and sticking with it. He at least eats those, and then spits the pieces back out... the pellets just sink... anymore advice would be more than welcome :D

~Elizabeth

Fish generally won't starve quickly; they can go a week or so without food before it becomes a prob. You may want to try NOT feeding him for a day or 2, then introducing a small amount of food. If he doesn't eat, make sure to remove the uneaten food, and try something else the next day. Frozen bloodworms are usually something bettas can't resist. You may want to try to grab some. Also, you can try soaking some of the flakes in a bit of garlic oil (squeezed out of one of those garlic pills filled with garlic oil). Garlic tends to be an appetite stimulant.

Back
Top Bottom