Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2017, 03:04 AM   #1
Roz
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gassy Goldie

Please help!
Goldie has a bloated tummy.
His tummy is soft to the touch and there is no pineconing.
Goldie is fed NLS sinking pellets for breakfast, a defrosted fish dinner such as krill or blood worms for dinner and a veggie for supper.

I'm really worried
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4227.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	295230

Old 02-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it still pooping?
Mine were like that, well one was. I tried everyting, peas, epsom salts, metronidazole, praziquentel, flake levimsole, nothing ever worked.

I would suggest to you to stop feeding entirely for a couple days, and when you do resume feeding, only 2 small meals a day of nothing but veggie (spirulina, peas, algae flakes or wafers for plecos)
And remember to always soak goldfish pellets in a small jar for 5 minutes and then dump them into the tank, goldfish have weak stomachs and tend to gorge themselves.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
Roz
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt68005 View Post
Is it still pooping?
Mine were like that, well one was. I tried everyting, peas, epsom salts, metronidazole, praziquentel, flake levimsole, nothing ever worked.

I would suggest to you to stop feeding entirely for a couple days, and when you do resume feeding, only 2 small meals a day of nothing but veggie (spirulina, peas, algae flakes or wafers for plecos)
And remember to always soak goldfish pellets in a small jar for 5 minutes and then dump them into the tank, goldfish have weak stomachs and tend to gorge themselves.

Thank you! I've been having trouble getting help via this forum, so really appreciate you responding.

Did the fasting work for you?

Goldie is very chipper and isn't acting sick. I had a mild panic the first night and thought about taking him to the vet in North Melbourne that treats fish, but he is so happy that I don't think he needs it.

Can you confirm whether the fasting helped your fish.

Thank
You
Old 02-24-2017, 05:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you continue to feed a bloated fish, you can kill it. Fasting helped my fish, not me personally. LOL
I dont know, heck they are just prone to stuff like this because the way they are bred makes their stomaches all knotted up, not like a common carp or koi.

Fast, and feed nothing but veggies until it starts pooping again and keep up the water quality. Meds wont work a darn bit for you, never did for mine.
2 out of the 3 of mine recovered, the other one may be okay i dont know i rehomed them. I love fancy goldfish but the ones i got from petsmart were low quality and high maintaince. If i get them again, its gonna be in a big big tank and im gonna start out with some big pretty fancies.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fanc...HS2_AZAQsAQIGQ
These are big beautiful easy to care for fish that can live for 40 years, why not throw down some more money up front and get something nice and big/healthy already, as opposed to something small and ugly and bloated from walmart or chain petstore just coz its cheaper.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
Roz
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks - I'll try fasting.
Just a note - none of my fish are from the stores you mentioned. I'm in Australia and we don't have those stores. About a third of my fish are rescues from people who didn't look after them, including Goldie.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #7
Roz
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just to clarify - how long should I fast for before starting on veggies?
Old 02-25-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Carp can go 4 months in the winter without eating anything , so fast for a few days if you want too. Wont hurt them at all.

Tags
die, gas, gold, goldie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com