GBR swollen and ripped open belly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Help! GBR seems to have significant issue. The underneath of belly area is open and fish is very swollen. Is there anything I can do or is this beyond help? This is a 20g QT tank with 2 GBR and one blue gourami. Options: move gourami out of tank (he's being an a$$), move injured sick GBR out, or wait it out/treat entire QT tank. Wondering if this is...dropsy? [emoji22]. I have a video but can't seem to post it. :(

From your description the problem certainly could be dropsy. Once the symptom of dropsy appears, the underlying bacterial infection is usually too advanced to save the fish. Last week another AA member posted about his GBR with probable dropsy. In that case, the fish was bloated but was still eating. He used a salt treatment and reported that his fish was recovering. I think the dosage for an aquarium salt treatment is one tablespoon for every five gallons of water. If you choose that route be sure to research salt treatments. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom