GBRs in planted tank with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I put 3 GBRs in my 40b yesterday and this morning they are all flashing against the drift wood and the rocks. I have a pretty heavily planted tank and I'm trying to treat for ich now before it becomes a huge problem (one already has his fins clamped).

If I raise the temp to 84 and dose 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water (which comes to 13 table spoons) and dose it over the corse of the next 2 days, would that help? I want to be careful of my plants, but I also don't want to lose a ram. Would this be a good treatment?

I'm not going to dose the salt as of now. I am going to slowly raise the temp to 86 and see if this can help. They already started flashing more so I did a 50% water change to get some of the parasites out. Hopefully I caught it early enough where this doesn't become a big problem.

I'm not going to dose the salt as of now. I am going to slowly raise the temp to 86 and see if this can help. They already started flashing more so I did a 50% water change to get some of the parasites out. Hopefully I caught it early enough where this doesn't become a big problem.

I think you're heading in the right direction. I've read that ich can get worse before it gets better. Just give the heat time wipe out the parasites...and the water changes do help.

Reygan2 said:
I think you're heading in the right direction. I've read that ich can get worse before it gets better. Just give the heat time wipe out the parasites...and the water changes do help.

Excellent, I guess time will tell.

When you raise the temp, be sure to have a lot of surface agitation. Warmer water= less O2 in the water.

I treated ich in one of my planted tanks by raising the temp to 88 and dosing half the dosage of salt that the box recommends... didn't seem to have any effect on my plants.

mfdrookie516 said:
I treated ich in one of my planted tanks by raising the temp to 88 and dosing half the dosage of salt that the box recommends... didn't seem to have any effect on my plants.

I thought I was able to put some salt in. The few people I asked all said "you have plants jn your tank, you cant add salt, they'd all die".

I said to myself, ****, plants are super sensitive, this sucks haha.

yeah, people are quick to say it'll bother plants, but my experience has been the opposite. I'm sure higher levels would bother them, but in the small levels used for treating ich, I highly doubt any but the most sensitive plants would be effected. I'd go ahead and add half the dosage and just keep an eye on them. Worst case scenario would be that you'd have to do a few water changes to remove the majority of the salt...

mfdrookie516 said:
yeah, people are quick to say it'll bother plants, but my experience has been the opposite. I'm sure higher levels would bother them, but in the small levels used for treating ich, I highly doubt any but the most sensitive plants would be effected. I'd go ahead and add half the dosage and just keep an eye on them. Worst case scenario would be that you'd have to do a few water changes to remove the majority of the salt...

Ok, I think I caught it before it got crazy anyway. I have the heat up to 87 and the fish don't seem to mind. If they don't look like they're getting any better in the next few days, I'll start to slowly dose the salt.

Back
Top Bottom