General Ick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaiboxer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all -

Just curious about something - I don't have any fish with ich right now, but I'm interested to know... I just put a whole bunch of fish from the LFS into my new tank, and they seem to be adjusting well. However, as a preventative measure would it hurt to turn up the temp a degree or two (it's at 79 - 80 now) for a day or two?

I know temps >80 help kill off ich, so I thought that might be a good idea with such a big change?

That would be like taking NyQuil just in case you get sick. Although Ich does not like warmer temps, other bacteria do. Not to mention the additional stress to your established system. I wouldn't reccomend it.

Also, adding a bunch of fish at once can be a chance at disaster. Fish should be added gradually so to not shock the system, and if a disease is brought in with the new fish, you can identify it, isolate them, and treat it.

This has been talked about here a lot . There is info on it if you type ick in the search . everyone has there own opinion . I keep my tank at 81 and use garlic

Back
Top Bottom