Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

German Blue Ram open mouth sore.

I am running a 20 gallon tank with 7 celestial pearl danio, 2 flying fox, one spoted himilayan loach, and on male german blue ram. In the past week, my German Blue Ram developed an open sore on his lower jaw. I tried treating it with an anti-parasitic medicine, as he was scratching before he got the sore, and melafix to try and stop any sort of bacterial infections. The sore, however, has gotten worse. His left cheek and lower left gill area are now swollen, making his profile look bloated in the mouth area. It has darkened considerably, and the sore seems to have grown slightly. Is there anything I can do additionally? Also, he has just developed a slight Ich infection today, which I will treat. My water perameters are very good, pH at 6.8, ammonia and nitrites at 0, nitrates at around .5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140423_123744.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	234509  

Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Could the ich have been in the gills and he was scratching there? Still getting worse?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well, there didn't seem to be any sign of ich on or around the gills. His tail fin had 2 spots of ich, and that went away after 1 day. Unfortunately, Blue was found deceased this morning. He was a fighter, and survived through some of my tanks worst, but I guess a progressively worsening flesh wound was just too much for him.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sad news, sorry for your loss.

Perhaps a bacterial infection that the melafix couldn't handle? Would that make sense at all?

Tags
blue, blue ram, german blue ram, mouth, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com