German Blue rams(pale, white poo, acting normal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

I have a pair of German Blue Rams in a 10gallon tank. Only inhabitants other than some snails(okay, alot of snails). Sand substrate. Stock lighting. Najas(guppy grass) and anacharis. No ferts. 50% PWC twice a week. Feed bloodworms twice a week. Flakes daily.

They are acting perfectly normal, however they both(a pair. spawned once in my 20g community tank that's why they are in this one) are a little pale. Their feces is also white. What do you guys think?

I haven't tested the water params yet. This tank has been running for a while(several months), and was boosted with a sponge filter that was running in my 20g. The sponge filter is still running in the tank, as well as an Aquaclear 30.

Thanks,

Mike

Long white "stringy" feces is a common problem associated with internal parasites. These parasites affect different fish differently so the pale complexion could also be cause by the parasites. The solution is actually simpler than you might think, food.

Pay a visit to your pet store and pick up some parasite food. There are several brands, all good but I'm sure some of the other forum members will make their recommendations. I personally have used Jungle brand with good success. Follow the instructions and your fish will likely be back to normal in a few weeks.

Unfortunately it is hard to gauge how much damage has already been done. With luck you will have caught it soon enough that it won't cause permanent damage (i.e. death) but you should prepare yourself in case you have not.

Finally, parasites don't usually just "show up". Check your water parameters. You need to eliminate the cause or they will become infected again.

Thanks for the heads up Alshain. I'll stop by the LFS this weekend. However, the tank is in my dorm room, and I'll be at home for the weekend. Unforunately, this means it'll be about 2 days before they get the food treatment.

Picked up some jungle brand medicated food. Going to start feeding this morning.

Recently my freezer got a little warm, and I wonder if the bloodworms that I had already opened are the cause of the newfound parasite.

black hills tj said:
Recently my freezer got a little warm, and I wonder if the bloodworms that I had already opened are the cause of the newfound parasite.

Thats very possible.

Yes. Also, your GBR's shouldn't have a problem but for others reading this thread, don't be afraid to mush the pellets for smaller fish.

Back
Top Bottom