Ghost Shrimp and Quick Cure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hell all...I recently used quick cure and salt to cure an outbreak of a common body fungus. I was wondering (since I'm giving my Pleco back to the pet store) if it would be safe to add ghost shrimp? Or would this bring them to their doom from the quick cure? The onlything I have ever used to treat my aquarium was quick cure and salt. TIA !

Did you run a carbon filter to remove all the QuickCure from the water column? If so, the ghost shrimp may stand a chance. If theres some still in the substrate tho it will likely kill them. What sort of substrate do you have?

Just normal gravel. Kinda thick though...due to the plans to add some plants. Yes there is carbon in my filter. Eclipse system.

I used quick cure in my 10 gal and it killed several neon tetras, but the shrimp survived. Parts of their insides were stained blue for the rest of their lives, but they didn't start dying off for about 3 months after.

Anyway, the ingredients of quick cure would be efficiently adsorbed by your carbon. None of the shrimp I've added since then have suffered ill effect. You should be golden.

QuickCure is Femaldihyde if IIRC.

There are many, safe, non-chemical means for getting rid of ich. I understand you probably did not know, and I know your LFS will most likely not tell you a way that prevents them from making a sale..

But for future reference, check out the articles area, and read up on Alli's heat treatment method.

I've used ot twice to great success, without loosing a single fish to boot.

Try that next time you get ich, You'll love it :)

William said:
QuickCure is Femaldihyde if IIRC.

There are many, safe, non-chemical means for getting rid of ich. I understand you probably did not know, and I know your LFS will most likely not tell you a way that prevents them from making a sale..

But for future reference, check out the articles area, and read up on Alli's heat treatment method.

I've used ot twice to great success, without loosing a single fish to boot.

Try that next time you get ich, You'll love it :)

I did not have ICH :-( ...I acctualy had a Body Fungus (the common one I beleive) I used and have used Quick Cure before to use it. Heat just speeds up the process that it kills your fish. I was told either Maroxy or Fungus Eliminator would help but the quick cure also does the trick. I follow aquarium fish.net's recomended treatment commonly...seems to work pretty well. This is the 2nd time I have had an outbreak...but it was because I accidently started a mini-cycle by addind new gravel.

Sorry, then.

I never heard of using ICH medicine for bodyfungus, So when I saw quickcure that is what I thought the subject was about, missed the part about the fungus.

Again, sorry. Humans make mistakes :? :-\

William said:
Sorry, then.

I never heard of using ICH medicine for bodyfungus, So when I saw quickcure that is what I thought the subject was about, missed the part about the fungus.

Again, sorry. Humans make mistakes :? :-\

No no its fine hehe. Quickcure eledgeadly can cure a large amount of diseases according to aquariumfish.net . They swear by the stuff! They have raised fish for 30 years now...have always been using it. I have been following them a lot lately.

But that does not stop the chemical from being very bad for the fishes health, especially when theres products the Maracyn line that can heal your fish without exposing them to toxic chemicals, as well as without mucking up the biofilter.

William said:
But that does not stop the chemical from being very bad for the fishes health, especially when theres products the Maracyn line that can heal your fish without exposing them to toxic chemicals, as well as without mucking up the biofilter.

Hard to find much of any special meds around here...small town. I didn't look much but next time I will be sure to. Quick Cure and 30 years of someone elses experince claim its pretty safe. I ahven't head any deaths from it...more or less saved a ton of fishes life.

Almost any LFS I've seen carries Maracyn's line of medications.

If nothing else order it online, www.bigalsonline.com most likely has it themselves.

I know its hard to go against the advice of someone thats been in the hobby for so long, Been in a similar position myself before.

Back
Top Bottom