Gill curl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My favorite goldfish has gill curl =\ Its to the point where surgery is required but we have no aquatic vet for miles and miles. So at this point I'm going to have to do it myself. I've watched lots of videos where people do this with there arowas but my goldfish isnt nearly that large. 2.5inches at the most. I know none of you would suggest me doing this myself but I really dont have any other options. No way would my parents drive me hours just to save my goldfish. They already hate my twice weekly water changes. Please somebody give me some advice. I need to know what to put in the water afterwards to keep her from getting infection and what to use to knock her out.

Is it affecting her ability to breathe, swim and eat? If its not, then its unsightly but not affecting her quality of life and I would opt not to consider this route.

jlk said:
Is it affecting her ability to breathe, swim and eat? If its not, then its unsightly but not affecting her quality of life and I would opt not to consider this route.

But I read it can get worse and kill her =\ i called an aquatic vet to get her opinion. She's gonna call me back. I read sometimes you can massage there gill covers back into place so I'm trying that. One of them seems to look better but the other hasnt changed. I also increased airation added a pump and am planning to do a water change as I saw suggested in several websites.

jlk said:
Discuss the situation with the aquatic vet and see what she has to say.

Mkay. If its not dangerous to her health I wont bother with the surgery. But if it is I might have too.

Is it an issue to her health right now? Only you can answer this. Symptoms such as difficulty breathing, eating, swimming, etc are signs that its an issue. Breathing obviously is the main concern. Only the vet will be able to determine if its going to be major, life threatening issue at some point in the near or far future (assuming its not an issue right now). You really need to discuss the matter with her in order to determine a course of action, if any, is necessary.

jlk said:
Is it an issue to her health right now? Only you can answer this. Symptoms such as difficulty breathing, eating, swimming, etc are signs that its an issue. Breathing obviously is the main concern. Only the vet will be able to determine if its going to be major, life threatening issue at some point in the near or far future (assuming its not an issue right now). You really need to discuss the matter with her in order to determine a course of action, if any, is necessary.

The guy called me back and directed me to a guy locally. Unforunatly he's not set up to see patients as of yet and wont help me. So I called around to about a dozen pet stores and one guy told me he heard a guy from west olympia did it but didnt remember the name of the vets place. So I called two dozen vets then one told me this vetranary place had a lady who did some aquatic animals so I called them and she wont be in till monday morning. Gah....

Are you anywhere near Washington State U? They have an aquatic medicine dept in their veterinary school and see patients. If not, you can also contact them and speak with them about your situation and ask for a referral closer to where you live.

jlk said:
Are you anywhere near Washington State U? They have an aquatic medicine dept in their veterinary school and see patients. If not, you can also contact them and speak with them about your situation and ask for a referral closer to where you live.

I called them they do have an aquatic vet program but not at there teaching hospital where they see patients. I'm also pretty far away from them.

Thats a shame that they do not see patients. Both of the veterinary schools here on the east coast do. Ok, here are few others. I do not know if they are close to you or not but they are listed for WA.

Vulcan Veterinary 360-953-9914 Dr Mike Corcoran
Center for Bird & Exotic Animal Medicine 425-486-9000
Poulsbo Animal Clinic 360-779-4640 Dr Craig Adams (highly recommended)
Garland Animal Clinic 509-326-3151
Pilchuck Vet Hospital 360-568-3111 Dr Roger Hancock

Last edited:
Heres some more:
Novartis/Dr Mitchell (number isnt listed- check your yellow pgs)
Burien Vet Hospital 206-242-1290
A-1 Animal Care 509-927-7367

Good luck!

I did my weekly water test and my tanks ph is 6.0 and the water I have to add is 7.2....what do I do? I have to do a water change.

Since I took out ten gallons I decided to only add back in five. I read if your raising ph you need to do it slowly. So 27gal of 6.0ph water to 5gals on 7.2 water. Does that sound safe? Then another tommorow and monday morning?

Back
Top Bottom