Gill flukes signs and symptons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is flashing and swimming in the current signs? Also how do I treat it I read hikari prazipro is a good medicine.

What size tank? Is it cycled? What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)? What type of fish are affected & how many? Is anybody new? Did you QT them? Are there other symptoms? We really need some more information to be able to help you! Flashing & swimming in the current are very general signs of irritation & can be indicative of any numer of problems.

Parameters are, 0,0,20 ph is 7 29 gallon, I got 3 platys within the last 2 weeks. Saw flashing twice from two of them and one likes to swim in the current. I have a pretty stocked tank. 6 diamond tetras, 3 platys, 6 neon tetras, 3 dwarf neon rainbow fish, 6 peppered cory catfish, Bolivian ram and a bn pleco

Thanks for the info! Are there any other symptoms? Not eating, strange poop, an increase in mucous, red/inflamed/clamped gills, any strange behavior/swimming, spots/discolorations? I guess these new guys werent qt so we really dont know what they may have or if they are just adjusting their new water. A different ph than what they were accustomed is enough to cause flashing/irritation but it can also indicate possible parasites/other diseases. We need to try to figure what the cause is before even considering a correct treatment.

Everyone is eating fine, I only saw them flash twice so far. The one platy was in the current of the filter for a while yesterday. Outer appearance looks ok for all the fish. I did have a death earlier in the week, one of my rainbow fish died unexpectedly, he was breathing heavy the night before at the top of the tank and the next morning he was dead

Thanks! If you only saw them flash twice and its not a constant occurence, i would honestly just watch closely & wait. It may be they are adjusting to your water. But, if you notice anything strange or not normal or the flashing increases, let us know & we will try to figure it out.

My younger platy doesn't look too good he looks like he has no energy and sometimes just rests on the gravel. Sometimes j can't even find him in the tank. His gills look a little red and he is breathing a little fast. Will the tank have side effects if I disease it without prazi pro? It says that it treats a number of parasites.

I did a 50% water change earlier today also. Will melafix do anything to help I have some.

I would consider aq salt first but im not 100% sure if all of your fish can tolerate salt (namely the pleco & catfish). Someone with more experience with dosing aq salt with these fish hopefully will help out! Can you possibily qt the sick fish?

I don't think he is going to make the night. The other platy knows something is up and is bothering him. Can't he just let him go in piece. I used salt when I treated ich

Im sorry about your fish! :( A cheap qt setup for any future fish may be something to consider before purchasing anyone new. It would probably be a good idea to do a low dose of aq salt (1tablespoon per 10gal) for now & keep a close eye on your fish.

Thanks, the young platy was dead this morning. I feel like something is going on in my tank. Nobody else is acting weird though. It is I just lost 2 fish in a week.

I suspect your new fish may have introduced something into your tank. What exactly-im not really sure because your symptoms are very vague & could be caused by any number of things. How is everybody looking today?

Back
Top Bottom