Giving up on Neon Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, five days, and the four new ones and the one "old" one (he he, old because it was from the previous batch two weeks ago) are doing fine. Maybe it really is a crap shoot on when and where you buy them from? I would like to get up to 10 of them, so maybe I should buy from the same place? Or should I be happy with five, and not risk another die-off?

Long term follow up - they all are doing well! I have 5 neon tetras thriving, after several rounds of die-offs. Ever known an addict who would be satisfied with the status quo? Now I am thinking of adding a few more. I thought 3 more, then if all is well another two, for a total population of 10 in a 10 gal tank. Of course, I would buy them from the LFS that gave me the current group of survivors. Whaddyathink? Get more, or leave well enough alone?

Odd thing is, when I had Neons as a 12 year old who knew NOTHING about aquariums, they did just fine. I filled a 29 gallon tank my grandmother bought me with tap water, and that same day went to the pet store to buy fish. No cycling, dechlorination, nothing. I bought 6 or 8 neons, and they all lived for a long time. That was 25+ years ago.

Just last year I went and purchased 16 neons for a planted 75 gallon, setup, monitored, cycled, CO2 injected, etc. They all died. And not over the course of a year either, they all had foggy eyes inside of two months. I don't get it.

Is it possible that breeders, in breeding for vibrant colors, have genetically weakened the species?

I think Neons and Cardinals are absolutely beautiful in decent sized schools. I wish I had some. But I'm not happy about spending money on flushing fodder, nor do I like seeing fish die under my care.

Black Skirt Tetras, as someone mentioned, are one of the hardiest little fish I've had over the years. I love those guys. For color I do Tiger and Cherry Barbs now. The barbs have more personality anyway, and in schools pester each other instead of other fish.

fish are absolutely weaker than they used to be. they don't make 'em like they used to, right?

Haha! I guess not! But if true, it's sad. Maybe if a breeder were to come out with a line of 'hardy' neons, he might make some $$ off them. Hard to say. I'm not sure how you test for 'hardy' though. Except put them in my planted tank and come back in a year.

Back
Top Bottom