Glofish died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carcea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new fish tank we purshesed a week ago. We started on July 3, then on July 5 the water was cloudy, so I went to the pet store to ask, and they said we should put 3 danios to help clear the water, so we did it, then next day we added 3 glofish. They were doing well, the danios super active and playful, the glofish slow, but exploring the tank. Today 3 days later, all fish were fine, and suddenly one of the glofish stick itself to the wall of the tank without moving, I tried to make it move, but the movement of the filter and the pump, made it flip, like it was very weak. I called the pet store and the lady told me to make a water change and then it out and put it in a different bowl to see if it could survive. It ended up dying, and now I'm worry about my other fish. What can I do to prevent th m to die. The lady at the pet store said we overfeed them, we remade that we should feed them twice a day, but she said we should do it every other day. Please any advice would be very appreciated

Your doing what is called a fish in cycle, google it or search on the forum for more information. But basically plan on doing daily or every couple days water changes to keep ammonia from getting to a toxic level in the tank. Also don’t add anymore fish, and go out and get a test kit (api makes a good affordable option) so you can monitor the conditions in the ank and change the water as necessary

What he said . And I have never heard of anyone telling to put in more fish to clear cloudy water . I would be looking for another store to work with .

Disregard everything that person at your lfs has told you. They know nothing.

Your doing what is called a fish in cycle, google it or search on the forum for more information. But basically plan on doing daily or every couple days water changes to keep ammonia from getting to a toxic level in the tank. Also don’t add anymore fish, and go out and get a test kit (api makes a good affordable option) so you can monitor the conditions in the ank and change the water as necessary

I have a 5 in one test, the one that test nitrites, nitrates, Gh, PH, and Kh, and all the levels have been shown ok all the time, so I don’t know if I’m doing it wrong or if there’s something else I need to test that I’m not doing

Unfortunately the only pet store we have in my town is the one where I got the fish, so they are the only people that I can “trust” for answers, but it not been helpful at all. My next question is that she told me to stop feeding them for the next 4 days and after that feed them every other day. Is that accurate? I don’t want my fish to starve. And by the way a second glofish died, so now I have 3 active danios and 1 very lethargic glofish, and I want to save them all. So please any help would be great

I have a 5 in one test, the one that test nitrites, nitrates, Gh, PH, and Kh, and all the levels have been shown ok all the time, so I don’t know if I’m doing it wrong or if there’s something else I need to test that I’m not doing

You need an ammonia test, and those dip strips are horribly inaccurate. Research the nitrogen cycle/a fish in cycle. Basically ammonia is converted to nitrite which is in turn converted to nitrate. The first 2 are toxic to fish and nitrate needs to be removed by you via water changes after the cycle completes

You need an ammonia test, and those dip strips are horribly inaccurate. Research the nitrogen cycle/a fish in cycle. Basically ammonia is converted to nitrite which is in turn converted to nitrate. The first 2 are toxic to fish and nitrate needs to be removed by you via water changes after the cycle completes

I really don’t know what are we doing wrong. The third glofish died, and 2 of my danios are very lethargic, only one of the danios is still active. We purchased the API kit test, and all levels are normal, the only one a little bit high is the PH, which is at 7.6 right now. What can we do to lower the PH, and how can I help my danios to survive. I don’t want all my fish to die. Please help us.

I really don’t know what are we doing wrong. The third glofish died, and 2 of my danios are very lethargic, only one of the danios is still active. We purchased the API kit test, and all levels are normal, the only one a little bit high is the PH, which is at 7.6 right now. What can we do to lower the PH, and how can I help my danios to survive. I don’t want all my fish to die. Please help us.

What’s “normal”, we need numbers to help. How many water changes have you done since starting the tank? Are you using a water treatment product (prime as one and probably the best example) when you do the water changes? Did you read through all the information autumn linked for you? I’m leaning towards ammonia poisoning with out any further information since this is a brand new tank that wasn’t cycled.

What’s “normal”, we need numbers to help. How many water changes have you done since starting the tank? Are you using a water treatment product (prime as one and probably the best example) when you do the water changes? Did you read through all the information autumn linked for you? I’m leaning towards ammonia poisoning with out any further information since this is a brand new tank that wasn’t cycled.

So the reading was: Nitrate 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Amonia 0 ppm, PH 7.6.
When I do the water change, I treat the water with 8 ml of Nutrafin aqua plus (tap water conditioner) and 8 ml of Nutrafin cycle (biological aquarium supplement) I let the water sit for 3-5 hours, and then do the water change.
To get you an idea of the water changes we have done I want you to refer to the following dates:
July 3: water tank filled for the first time
July 5: added 3 danios
July 6: added 3 glofish
July 7: 20% water change
July 9: glofish died in the morning, 20%water change, second glofish died in the afternoon
July 10: 20% water change
July 12: third glofish died, 50% water change
I really don’t know what we are doing wrong, probably everything, I don’t know. We don’t know how often to feed them, because at the store they said every other day, but we read that we should feed them twice a day, so we are doing it once a day, but we don’t know if that’s to much or not enough

You aren't cycled as pointed out. Once a day feeding is fine. Buy yourself some Seachem Prime. Do 50% water changes every other day. Test in between changes to see what your water is doing.

It could be that your fish were not healthy from your initial introduction to the tank. Stress and poor water conditions. Or the fish are sick at your local lfs. Or you have disease in your tank from sick fish that's killing off the other fish.

There's a few variables when fish start dying in your tank. Frequent water changes as I pointed out is necessary when your tank isn't cycled. If all your fish end up dead, clean your tank and filter out well with a diluted bleach solution. Throw out your gravel/substrate and buy new stuff. Start a fishless cycle using pure ammonia or Dr Tim's ammonia. It could take up to a couple months to cycle but it's better than dealing with dying fish.

You aren't cycled as pointed out. Once a day feeding is fine. Buy yourself some Seachem Prime. Do 50% water changes every other day. Test in between changes to see what your water is doing.

It could be that your fish were not healthy from your initial introduction to the tank. Stress and poor water conditions. Or the fish are sick at your local lfs. Or you have disease in your tank from sick fish that's killing off the other fish.

There's a few variables when fish start dying in your tank. Frequent water changes as I pointed out is necessary when your tank isn't cycled. If all your fish end up dead, clean your tank and filter out well with a diluted bleach solution. Throw out your gravel/substrate and buy new stuff. Start a fishless cycle using pure ammonia or Dr Tim's ammonia. It could take up to a couple months to cycle but it's better than dealing with dying fish.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support, now I have another question. How I’m supposed to complete the cycle if I keep doing water changes? How I’m going to raise the good bacteria if I keep putting new water in it?

Beneficial Bacteria isn't in the water column. It's attached to everything in your tank and inside your filters/filter media. With fish in cycle you want to keep the ammonia between .25 and .50 ppm. Anything higher do a water change. Remember, if you got .50 ppm and you do a 50% water change you'll have .25 ppm. You get the point. If it shoots up to say 1 ppm then do back to back 50% water changes.

If you are doing a Fishless cycle keep the ammonia between 2-4 ppm.

Beneficial Bacteria isn't in the water column. It's attached to everything in your tank and inside your filters/filter media. With fish in cycle you want to keep the ammonia between .25 and .50 ppm. Anything higher do a water change. Remember, if you got .50 ppm and you do a 50% water change you'll have .25 ppm. You get the point. If it shoots up to say 1 ppm then do back to back 50% water changes.

If you are doing a Fishless cycle keep the ammonia between 2-4 ppm.

So why my levels keep reading 0ppm? I still have 2 fish in, but have readings of 0ppm for Amonia, nitrites and nitrates

You said you had an API test. Is it API Freshwater Master Test Kit?

You're reading all zero's because your bioload from two fish is very small and your tank isn't cycled.

You said you had an API test. Is it API Freshwater Master Test Kit?

You're reading all zero's because your bioload from two fish is very small and your tank isn't cycled.

Yes, the one that I have is API freshwater master test kit.
So now with 2 danios in it, how can I help the tank to complete the cycle. Sorry if I’m been stubborn, but I don’t understand how changing the water is going to help. I don’t have any rush, but I want to understand this. Should I give my fish to someone with a running aquarium and start from scratch? I feel like I’m stuck

When the ammonia gets high , changing water is the only way to get rid of some of it until you are cycled . If you know someone with an established tank , get some filter material or substrate from them and put in your tank . That will speed up the cycle and maybe enough for 2 fish . Live plants will help too if you want to get into that .

Back
Top Bottom