Glow tetra doing somersaults

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kozmofish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have observed my glow tetra doing somersaults in the tank for the last day. My husband said he noticed it a couple of weeks ago. I'm very worried! It just recently recovered from a wart/blister on the side of its mouth, and now this! I moved it to a bowl from the tank to see if that helps. After about thrity minutes, it's sitll doing somersaults. Any suggestions?

Hi,

Welcome to AA.

I was wondering if anything had changed in the tank in the last day or if this started after anything (eg water change, increase in meds/salt, feeding, some tank aggression)?

Also has the wart/blister completely gone now and no other marks? One thought there would be cotton mouth but basically trying to figure out if these are related or not.

Last one is would you have any water chemistry readings to knock this off eg ph, nitrates?

Columnaris Disease in Aquarium Fish

The wart/blister is 95 percent gone now. I added aquarium salt to the tank a few weeks ago and it helped the wart go away. I added more salt to the bowl today to see if it would help the swimming problems. Maybe I shouldn't have done that.
This fish has had swimming problems before, but only swimming on its side, never doing somersaults and spirals. Someone at my local pet store thinks it might be swimbladder problems or neurological problems. The water quality is fine. The other fish in the tank are fine.

The wart/blister is 95 percent gone now. I added aquarium salt to the tank a few weeks ago and it helped the wart go away. I added more salt to the bowl today to see if it would help the swimming problems. Maybe I shouldn't have done that.
This fish has had swimming problems before, but only swimming on its side, never doing somersaults and spirals. Someone at my local pet store thinks it might be swimbladder problems or neurological problems. The water quality is fine. The other fish in the tank are fine.

Thanks for the information back. Hopefully unrelated then. For me, water as fine is 0 ammonia and nitrite, say less than 40 nitrate and ph roughly in range of fish preference so I'm assuming all is good there.

The pet store probably has a good guess there imo. In many cases the swim bladder is linked to the fishes stomach so could be something there as well. Unfortunately may be ongoing.

I'd try a hospital tank with shallow water. This will reduce pressure and might allow the fish to adjust. A shallow bowl sounds fine.

Also reduce the salt gradually back to more normal levels. Fish will adapt to changes but if too much or too fast, then they will roll-over / have control loss.

Feeding - I'd skip feeding for several days. Something like brine shrimp or peas will provide a bit of roughage for them as well which may help.

Back
Top Bottom