gold color and red gills, posibly velvet, not sure (have pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rox501

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
after a treating for what i thought was velvet i restored the tank to it's normal self, but the fish still have a gold coloration/film that may resemble velvet. the fish in question i have are glow-light tetras and have been in my tank for some time. I'm not sure if this is a disease or a varient of color and I'm afraid that I misdiagnosed them. :confused: also i have a black phantom tetra that whose face appears to be red, I'm guessing enflamed gills, but not sure. Does anybody have experience with either fish and what's going on?

Attachments

• P1000023.jpg
    P1000023.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 85
  • P1000020.jpg
    P1000020.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 89
Looking at the pics, it looks like gold 'coloration' rather than a film but its difficult to tell. Can you give us some more information? How are your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Are the fish in question doing anything unusual (such as not eating, swimming erractically)? Have you introduced any new fish recently?

jlk said:
Looking at the pics, it looks like gold 'coloration' rather than a film but its difficult to tell. Can you give us some more information? How are your water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? Are the fish in question doing anything unusual (such as not eating, swimming erractically)? Have you introduced any new fish recently?

My parameters are currently low in ammo and nitrite, nitrates a little higher but not of concern. The last fish I had introduced were three black phantoms and had to put down 2 after i found out they had severe popeye.
jlk said:
What did you use to treat the velvet and how long did you treat for?
I kept the tank dark for two weeks with salt and the traditional velvet meds that kill inverts (forgot the name)

My parameters are currently low in ammo and nitrite, nitrates a little higher but not of concern.

You should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates and <20 nitrates..... how do your actual readings compare?

The very knowledgeable guy at my lfs indicates that he's seeing a lesser quality glo-light come from his distributors. Looks like they're being overbred, much as the neons were, which made them weak.

You should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates and <20 nitrates..... how do your actual readings compare?

The very knowledgeable guy at my lfs indicates that he's seeing a lesser quality glo-light come from his distributors. Looks like they're being overbred, much as the neons were, which made them weak.

The readings you posted are accurate, athough this was before a water change I had done recently. I wouldn't say they're brittle as they survived two ich outbreaks, but the possibility of beeing overbred is likely (i got them from petco)

But you indicated you had readings on the ammonia and nitrite. I'm confused and it's only Tuesday. I'm not allowed to be confused until Thursday. :(

Lynda is right-there should be 0 ammonia & zero nitrites. Sounds like you may be having some fish issues due to water quality rather than disease. Poor water quality can lead to fish 'discoloration' and death. The red & inflamed gills on your fish are indicative of possible ammonia/nitrite poisoning. If you do truly have a case of velvet, you will need to follow dosing with aquarium salt & heat (as you would for ich) with the addition of copper sulfate for a minimum of ten days of treatment. You really should address your levels of amm/nitrite first before considering any treatment because this may be all your fish need.

Lynda is right-there should be 0 ammonia & zero nitrites. Sounds like you may be having some fish issues due to water quality rather than disease. Poor water quality can lead to fish 'discoloration' and death. The red & inflamed gills on your fish are indicative of possible ammonia/nitrite poisoning. If you do truly have a case of velvet, you will need to follow dosing with aquarium salt & heat (as you would for ich) with the addition of copper sulfate for a minimum of ten days of treatment. You really should address your levels of amm/nitrite first before considering any treatment because this may be all your fish need.

I never considered the water quality to be the problem, I am awaiting a fluval 305 but i have been perfomming water changes less frequently. I'll get to it then :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom