gold nugget pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevsn1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

does anyone have experience with these fish. His belly looks sunken to me. i never see him eat.

Ive had him for a couple of month and my water parameters are ok.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20131216_185759.jpg
    20131216_185759.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 82
They are nocturnal so they may hide during the day....have you offered algae wafers, fresh blanched vegetables,...?

hi,

so far ive offered cucumber, carrot, courgette, algae wafers, fresh prawns, mussels, wafer mix etc. he does have a swin about during the night but ive never seen him eat.

thanks

Try a bit of steamed/cooked broccoli stem (not the florets) my mick goes mad for that, but be warned it does stink a bit ;) make sure it's sliced length ways so the soft flesh is easily eaten..
How long are you leaving the food in for ? And are you weighing them down so he can easily eat them ?
I also found mine liked (but not as much as broccoli) sea food sticks ! But only a small amount of them as they too can be messy.
I don't buy many algae wafers I buy shrimp wafers he loves them, if I drop one shrimp and one algae wafer in he always goes for the shrimp one ! He also likes the nls sinking pellets ..

I think you just have to keep trying until you find something he likes, the amount of wafers and pellets I've bought and given away to friends because he "turns his nose up at them" ..
We are sorted not it took about 8 months but I've found his favourite foods now ;)

Just found him. He never made it. Im gutted. Thanks for the advice

They are known for being a difficult pleco to keep, so don't be too disappointed in your efforts. Did he have wood to chew on? In addition to algae, they also need more meaty foods such as cockle, bloodworms or prawns. Carnivore pellets/tablets will also be taken

Back
Top Bottom