gold severum with ich, treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cellar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there, my fairly new gold severum seems to have a few specks of ich on it's fins. In my tank I have some scaleless fish, a clown knife and a black ghost knife so I was looking for treatment options for the tank. None of the other fish show any signs of ich, and i've checked every square cm. also in there is a lima shovelnose, farrowella (sp) cat, green terror, firemouth, and a bichir. I didn't think there were any exceptions for any of those guys but what do I know really. Can my knifes handle the salt needed? and can all of these guys handle 86 degrees?

Don't use salt use heat only, get the temps to 87-88 F. Your fish will be fine, add extra aeration or lower the water level a bit. Keep the temps up for 2 weeks after you see the last spot of ich.

Anne, just curious, what does lowering the water level do? Less water to try to aerate?

thanks for the advice, i heard that salt was horrible for knifes, and also that meds are pretty rough on them too even at half strength. I think lowering the water would mean more oxygen between the surface and your hood helpin with O2 content? I have a nice 12 inch airstone in there so it should be alright. two weeks you said? any water changes in there?

I am using the same treatment, heat only. On my last few days. I vaccumed my sand quite abit to, I was told it helps keeps things clean. Just make sure you match the temperature when you top off the tank.

i was wondering if having your temp strip located on a wall that has air bubbles running along it will give out a false reading? My temp strip is middle of the tank height wise and on the far left of the front panel. I have my 10 inch bubble stone pushed against the left side running perpendicular to the front of my tank. I am running my ac so the air in the bubbles should be around 75 degrees, I have cranked my heater to the max and am still hovering around 86 though.

Back
Top Bottom