Gold Spot Pleco Fin Rot or Attacked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LukeyRoso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone

My Pleco Was fine yesterday. Then i woke up this morning and he was like this

20171211_075626.jpg

Who is with him and what size is the tank ?
Looks like he had a go around with some other nocturnal fish IMO ?

They are in a 30 gallon long. With 2 oscars, 2 Green Severums, small jack dempsey , 3 plecos and a featherfin catfish. I know it is overstocked. I have like 4000lph turn over rate. And will be getting a bigger tank for Christmas.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

They are in a 30 gallon long. With 2 oscars, 2 Green Severums, small jack dempsey , 3 plecos and a featherfin catfish. I know it is overstocked. I have like 4000lph turn over rate. And will be getting a bigger tank for Christmas.

Thanks for the quick reply :)
You're kidding???

[emoji44]
Um is this post real? Like ouch, every fish you have needs a bigger tank you're like 400+% overstocked you will need 1000% of the tank space you have now, also your going to have major aggression issues.

With a bio load like that it will be fin rot in short order.
How much filter you have matters little compared to water changes and bio load created by fish to the water volume. No filter commonly found on a 30g will keep up with the Oscars and plecos alone. Circulation only really counts in marine tanks as the live rock is basically the filter so flow increases filtering ability.
If this was my tank to care for I would be doing 50% water changes every other day....
Water quality will either save that fish or kill it.

Water parameters are good

PH: 6.0
Ammonia: 0ppm

Finrot over nite?
And as I already said I know I am over stocked. I am getting a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank for Christmas.

20171211_161328.jpg

Water parameters are good

PH: 6.0
Ammonia: 0ppm

Finrot over nite?
And as I already said I know I am over stocked. I am getting a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank for Christmas.

View attachment 305533

Yes you can get anything over night just like a human, like yesterday I felt great today I feel like I'm on my last leg, as for the bigger tank you're still going to have issue with aggression.
I see you didn't post nitrite or nitrate, nitrite kills them as well as ammonia, nitrate weakens their immune system above a certain ppm, Do you have those test results? I dint know if it's the picture or if that's how the plecos tail is supposed to look like but it looks shredded from aggression.

With fin and tail rot you have to keep the water extremely clean for it to heal, if there's aggression the fish won't stop attacking that specific spot so it'll never heal, hence why a 50% water change every other day as coralbandit said.

I don't have a nitrate, nitrite test but I will get one. And ill start by doing 50% water change every other day. And I might have to think about rehousing some of my fish.

I don't have a nitrate, nitrite test but I will get one. And ill start by doing 50% water change every other day. And I might have to think about rehousing some of my fish.
What water conditioner do you use? And nitrite is just as important as ammonia, nitrate is probably through the roof with that much bioload in a 30 gallon

No matter what conditioner you use get on water changes.
Clean water may help to clear up the pleco..
It is worth mentioning that even in large enough aquaria some fish are just mean so a larger tank does not guarantee the well being of a fish that does not match up.
Most call plecos 'armoured catfish' so he did not just take a little beating to end up that way.As fish grow this issue may become worse and have worse outcomes..
Compatibility often plays a major role in a tanks long term health.

Water changes on that tank and I'd start fixing that pleco up by putting him in something else till he heals. The other fish will just keep at him and rip him to pieces. Start but putting him in clean water and give him some wafers. Maybe even some meds, but that's up to you. Clean water and away from others will work just as good. Good luck with your new tank and your fish.

Hello guys. Happy new years

Ended up get a new tank for Christmas a dalbarb 60g. And found the problem with my pleco fin rot l. It turned out to be the featherfin catfish which was bulliying my pleco. Here a photo of my new setup.

received_1526636484057227.jpg20171231_163558.jpg

Might want to level the tank out or it might just be the picture angle but it looks like the right side is higher than the left as far as the water level the left side is almost full the right side is down a few inches , glad you found the culprit for the pleco, remember this fungus only grows on dead tissue which would be the case of your pleco cause it was getting the tail bit on.

If it's Unlevel and just not the picture put a couple shims under the left side of the STAND not the tank to raise that side drain some water out, if you have a level put it across the top of the tank and shim It till it is level or close.

Back
Top Bottom