Gold Tetra Deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, last Thursday Im at my "good" LFS looking for ideas for another school of fish to add to my 45 gallon. I come across a few options, but the one that stood out were marked as "Gold Tetras" (think neon tetras, but they're gold!). So I get eight of them, bring them home and do the normal slow-drip acclimation that I do with all new fish when putting them in my QT.

*Flashing back to earlier in the day* I checked water parameters in the QT prior to going to the LFS and had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5-10ppm nitrate. I did a 50% PWC on it for good measure and the tank has been empty of fish for four weeks and empty of snails for one week.

I left the lights out for the remainder of the evening and by Friday afternoon they seemed more or less normal.... schooling together in the open, but diving for cover if I walked by. I feed them NLS Grow pellets and they ate, but not the frenzy I wouldve expected after not eating for almost a day (I have not seen them eat since as they stay under cover of the fake plants).

By Saturday afternoon, none of them were out in the open and one of them was swimming a tad funny... by the evening it (Im assuming the same one) was dead. This morning (Sunday) one of them looked dead, but nudging him revealed a little bit of wiggle left, so I decided to wait and see as I headed off to work.

Just got home from work a little bit ago and I find not one, but three dead... and a forth doing the same "laying on its side, but not quite dead" thing.

I cant find anything on any of the bodies that suggest anything external (Ick, fungus, etc), but they are quite small. I treat all new fish for the typical parasitic, fungal and bacterial infection with Microbe-Lift Artemiss and Herbtana.

So... after all this rambling, I guess my questions are two-fold:
1) Ideas?

2) Does anybody have experience with this particular fish? Are they prone to certain problems or require special care?

Hemigrammus Armstrongi is the scientific name. I found there is a different fish that is also called Gold Tetra when you do a internet search.

Figured Id better try and fill in any blanks in order to both give more information and save from somebody eventually asking them.

The fish are currently in a 10 gallon tank. The pH is 8.2 and the temp ranges from 79F - 81F. The tank was set up approx. 3 months ago.
Its being filtered with a Aqueon QuietFlow 10.

So, last Thursday Im at my "good" LFS looking for ideas for another school of fish to add to my 45 gallon. I come across a few options, but the one that stood out were marked as "Gold Tetras" (think neon tetras, but they're gold!). So I get eight of them, bring them home and do the normal slow-drip acclimation that I do with all new fish when putting them in my QT.

*Flashing back to earlier in the day* I checked water parameters in the QT prior to going to the LFS and had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5-10ppm nitrate. I did a 50% PWC on it for good measure and the tank has been empty of fish for four weeks and empty of snails for one week.

I left the lights out for the remainder of the evening and by Friday afternoon they seemed more or less normal.... schooling together in the open, but diving for cover if I walked by. I feed them NLS Grow pellets and they ate, but not the frenzy I wouldve expected after not eating for almost a day (I have not seen them eat since as they stay under cover of the fake plants).

By Saturday afternoon, none of them were out in the open and one of them was swimming a tad funny... by the evening it (Im assuming the same one) was dead. This morning (Sunday) one of them looked dead, but nudging him revealed a little bit of wiggle left, so I decided to wait and see as I headed off to work.

Just got home from work a little bit ago and I find not one, but three dead... and a forth doing the same "laying on its side, but not quite dead" thing.

I cant find anything on any of the bodies that suggest anything external (Ick, fungus, etc), but they are quite small. I treat all new fish for the typical parasitic, fungal and bacterial infection with Microbe-Lift Artemiss and Herbtana.

So... after all this rambling, I guess my questions are two-fold:
1) Ideas?

2) Does anybody have experience with this particular fish? Are they prone to certain problems or require special care?

Hemigrammus Armstrongi is the scientific name. I found there is a different fish that is also called Gold Tetra when you do a internet search.

I wanted to chime in but it turns out that I have the "other" fish (H. rodwayi) which btw are quite hardy (spent a summer in a small ornamental pond and stayed there until October...temp got into the 50s). Good luck and I hope you find out what's going on.

Thanks... just pulled another one out. :(

I guess this is why I have a QT. Id hate the idea of whatever-this-is being introduced into my Main Tank.

Back
Top Bottom