golden pristella tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnova

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today at petco they had a golden pristella tetra sale, so I bought a school of them (6). I acclimated them properly, and my parameters are perfect.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrate - 10-20 ppm
Ph is at a stable 7.8
Ten gallon tank w/ aquaclear 20 filter.

One of the tetras is not schooling with the others; even though he is one of the healthier looking ones...

Any idea why?

Happened to my glowlights before they spawned. It should school fairly soon. On a side note, isn't that PH too high?

QuietPlotter said:
Happened to my glowlights before they spawned. It should school fairly soon. On a side note, isn't that PH too high?

No, fish can adapt to pH as long as it is stable and somewhere between 6-8

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with them. Their fins are a little shredded from the bad conditions they were kept in, but I will up the heat, and keep up on pwcs to put them back at optimal health.

I did some research on them. I keep getting the info that they are hardy, and can adapt to a wide range of Ph. Ofcoarse, I am not 100% on that as I have never kept them before.

Actually, that's debatable. Put a discus in 7.8 PH water, and let us see if it adapts. My point is, some species of tetras cannot or do not do a good job at adapting. You will have a hard time keeping cardinals or neons in 8PH , per se...

They are some of the hardier of the tetras. They can adapt to any stable pH.

I got 20 myself after doing some research on what I wanted in my 40. One of mine went off on his own as well to explore and he's back with his school. Seems that with any tetras I get, one does that. :)

QuietPlotter said:
Actually, that's debatable. Put a discus in 7.8 PH water, and let us see if it adapts. My point is, some species of tetras cannot or do not do a good job at adapting. You will have a hard time keeping cardinals or neons in 8PH , per se...

I kept golden pristellas at 7.8 fine before I gave them away. A lot of factors go into pH adaptations, like the origin of the fish the water they were raised and the water they were bred. For the most part fish can adapt

Okay, I will just keep a good eye on them. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. :)

Back
Top Bottom