Golden sharks acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kris112960

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to the site, and a rookie fish keeper, and not sure if I have my first problem. Basically I set the tank up 2 mths ago and cycled it for 1 month, I then added 4 x mollies 4 weeks ago, 2 x golden sharks and 3 Bala sharks 3 weeks ago, and then 4 clown loach 2 weeks ago, I have a 180l tank, all water levels seem acceptable (tested weekly)

On Friday I noticed that one of the mollies has had about 8 babies and that one of the golden sharks has left his cave and started swimming vertically at the surface, and now today the other golden shark has joined him, the other fish aren't acting differently, the Bala's occasionally swim vertically but the seem to like doing what ever the other fish are doing.

Any ideas if I have got a problem?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403413157.362742.jpg

Welcome to AA! I don't notice any surface movement. What type of filtration do you have? Could be a lack of oxygen. Have you tested your ammonia level? That's a huge amount of stocking in such a short time for an established tank, much less a new one.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but have you checked out the adult size of most of your fish? If I were you, I'd return the bala's, loaches and the golden sharks asap just for starters. Then folks here can help you with a stocking list for your tank.

Last edited:
I would put in an air-stone, get some oxygen in the water asap. It looks as though they are up there getting air.

Your tank is way too small for some of the fish you've got. The sharks may become aggressive towards each other and other fish, when they get older, they get quite territorial, and grow a reasonable size. The loaches also grow really big and should be kept in groups of at least 5. I have 5 Clown Loaches in a 6 foot tank and that is probably too small. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom