Goldfish after a fight!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmoor311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. This past weekend I went to my uncles house, he has quite a large pond filled with koi and a couple of goldfish. One of the goldfish that was there was severely hurt. I wanted to help it and my uncle said I could take him. With that I also got 3 koi fry I am raising for him. The tank is 10 gallons in size. I know this is way to small for a goldfish but this is only temporary. It also has a working filter and heater, plenty of hiding spaces as well. His tank mates are 2 juvenile platys, 1 ghost shrimp, 1 male dwarf gourami and an upside down catfish. The tank parameters are: nitrate- 5ppm, nitrite- .5ppm, general hardness- 150ppm, chlorine- 0ppm, alkalinity- 180ppm and pH- 7.3. He has eaten goldfish flakes slightly. I also put in stress coat and zyme to help it out as well as 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt. Is there anything else I can do to help it, I feel bad about it even though it wasn't my fault...sorry for the long drawn out question..lol

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are the koi in the 10g tank as well as the goldfish and other fish? What is your ammonia reading?

My suggestion is to pick up a 20g Rubbermaid-type plastic bin and filter as soon as possible and move the goldfish to this. The bins run about $5 at walmart/any big chain store. Any koi you may have should be placed in the pond immediately. Then do daily to multiple 50%+ wcs on both tanks with a good water conditioner such as Prime as neither tank is cycled. Please ask any questions!

Back
Top Bottom