Goldfish discoloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaytaylor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry if I'm not in the right section I'm new. ALSO SORRY IN ADVANCE FOR THE EXTREMELY LONG POST! So let me start off by saying when my sister was in 4th or 5th grade (she's in 7th now) she brought home a little goldfish from her science class after they were finished with their lab.
Now I've had a couple bettas, glo fish, and a couple goldfish throughout my childhood.
When she brought him home she still had another Goldie named Stanley RIP. this was when I thought goldfish had lifespans of a couple years and you just kept them in bowls.
I ended up doing a lot of research since she had him and we upgraded him to a 10gal temporarily. I ended up getting a white comet and an orange and white I think common goldfish. I got them knowing I would be upgrading their tank before they would be miserable or outgrow the 10gal.
I bought a national geographic brand aquarium with the stand included that was a 46gal. While I was buying that at Petsmart I also bought a common pleco(yes I know that was a mistake) and I got the cutest shubunkin.
I temporarily put all of them into the 10gal and I apparently thought I wouldn't lose any fish when the new tank cycled. My shubunkin died within a few weeks. At this point I had my pleco, my sisters goldfish ginger, my white/silver comet and my orange and white goldfish. I had bought aquarium salt, this greenish goop by tetra I believe that temporarily helps with ammonia etc and I was being religious about using it correctly. My tank is still bare bottom and I bought driftwood off of dr foster and smith and I boiled it for awhile before I put it in my tank to help with the tannins. But my white fish died. I don't know what was wrong with him. He would never swim. He always stayed in a corner of the tank and then when I got home on Easter he was lying at the bottom dead. But what really got me was how my sisters fish died. Ginger and my orange and white fish started getting weird black/brown splotches that kept growing in size on their bodies. It almost looked like a bruise. They acted fine especially ginger. I did a 50% Water change almost a week ago and they seemed to be getting much better. Ginger was covered by these weird splotches more than my fish. A couple days ago he started acting weird and would start to swim then stop moving his fins and his body would keep going in the direction he was swimming and he would bump into the tank and the driftwood. At first I thought his sight was going bad and I was freaking out. I was calling my sister to come upstairs and when I looked back at him he was lying at the bottom on his side and he was still barely alive. I got him out and (I read this online bare with me) I carefully held him in a wet papertowel and I ran very cold water into his gills to try to shock him and bring him "back" he was still barely alive. But it was too late. He died and I still have no idea what caused this weird splotch thing to happen. My fish that had it is getting better and it's fading back to his normal color.
I don't have test strips yet so I can't tell you what my parameters are yet. But I'm ordering the API freshwater master test kit. I've just never seen it before. All my childhood fish just died from the lack of water changes.

Hi, did you end up getting the test kit?

The black splotches could be ammonia burns (tank is not cycled or overstocked) and/or could be a bacterial infection.

Yes I did, I got the API freshwater master test kit. Nitrites and nitrates were at 0. The pH was actually really high which confused me since I had been using SeaChem Neutralizer.
I'm pretty sure I did a 50% water change before I tested the water and the ammonia was kind of high too which confused me also.. I've since done another water change which was more towards 65%. (I got a hose to make water changes easier but I have to take the aerater off my faucet to attach the hose, so it's ALOT of work to do good sized water changes gallon by gallon) I'm getting ready for work but I'm testing the water again tonight and will keep you posted.
But yeah I remember reading about how the splotches could be ammonia burns and I read somewhere it could also be healing from ammonia burns but he just ended up getting really bad. I have a picture of him when he was about to be out into the new tank and one when he died. I don't know how to attach a photo on my iPhone so if I remember I will get on the computer and reply back with them.

Actually maybe it was ammonia burns since the tank wasn't cycled. It is now though. My pleco is doing great And has grown a bit and my last Goldie is all cleared up and his color is bright and healthy looking.

Thanks for the feedback. Good news on the tank being cycled.

When I had the main tank go though a mini-cycle, I tried large water changes but ammonia was very difficult to drop. Felt like asking the fish to just stop in a corner and do nothing.

I found API ammo lock very helpful although these days use seachem safe which does the same thing to detoxify ammonia for 24hours or so.

getPart
getPart

I don't know how to post images since it only lets me put in a link to an image.

I don't know how to post images since it only lets me put in a link to an image.

If you are using the mobile app, then there are built in tools that allow you to include pics directly from a camera or from the device's photo library.
If you have images stored in a third party image hosting site such as Imgur, PhotoBucket, Flickr, etc, then there should be a way to copy the link to the picture and paste it into a post on AA.
If you are using the full web browser, then there should be icons to help you carry out these types of tasks. It's been so long since I've used the web browser for attaching images, I cannot offer advice until I get to a PC and login.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460695624.365465.jpg
Here's before I moved them to the 46 gal. This is when I was putting my pleco and shubunkin into the 10 gal until my bigger tank was completely filled up.
I miss my babies :'(
Should've cycled the tank before moving them.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460695720.563333.jpg
Here is Ginger the biggest goldie when he died.

Back
Top Bottom