Goldfish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys! I have a pond that used to have 7 large goldfish but now 4 of them have died at about 1 week intervals. My mum found the other three goldfish dead already and we flushed them but I have one now in a quarantine tank that's pretty close to death, I don't think I'll be able to save poor Neapolitan but if I can help the others it would be great,
Iv had them all for 7 years but in this pond only for 2 years
Symptoms
Laying at bottom of tank
Gasping for air
Not bloated
Red vein looking things through tail
New black markings on top fin only
Sometimes if I lift him up hell swim a short distance but then sink again

Attachments

• image-2175765843.jpg
    image-2175765843.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-419227127.jpg
    image-419227127.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 62
Hi! What size pond? Filtration? Temperature? Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? If you can test for GH and KH, this will be very helpful as well. Do you do any kind of maintenance on the pond (wcs, filter cleaning, removal of debris/leaf litter, etc)? Some more info will help us to help you better!

My guys are/were having the same issues.... My ammonia was at 2.0....2 50 percent water changes have brought it down to . 25. They were getting nitrite posining..... There doing better now. Check your ammonia though

Every time one of my fish die I check the ammonia, I'm not fully sure on the size of the pond as its circular but the filter gets cleaned regularly (about once a week) because leaves get stuck in it
Temperatures have recently been going up to about 25 a day whereas before it was around 15-20

Can you measure the pond? Width across/depth in middle and edges? We can figure out the gallon capacity with these. I am guessing you don't do wcs as you do not know the size in gallons to add water conditioner.

Can you please test your water or take it somewhere to be tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, gh and kh? I suspect the main issue here is a water quality problem based on your fish's symptoms. In order to address the problem, we need to know what is wrong first.

I do water changes, it's not and in ground pond, all I do it siphon the water out and put a hose in,
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

There's a filtration system in there and I'm not sure of the GH and KH but PH is 7

How are you able to do water changes and dose water conditioner properly if you don't know what gallon capacity of the pond is?

Back
Top Bottom