Goldfish health problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixietreelover

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi ,New to the forum ,but really worried about my Goldfish . She is about 10 years old never had any issues previously but recently she has stopped eating ,she is in a tank ,so I have done all the usual stuff ,tested the water etc all ok . Have done regular water changes as the weather in the UK has been hotter than it normally is . She is now not opening her mouth and looks like her gils are clamped shut ,only slightly opening now as she breathes ,she is not happy at all ,staying the corner of the tank ,I have added Aquarium salt and she did pick up a little yesterday but has returned to being lethargic . Any advice would be greatly appreciated asap . Does anybody recognise those symptoms ? Thank you :(

Hello Pixie...

I'm surprised no one has responded. Anyway, that's great your Goldfish is 10 years old. This isn't really old for a Goldfish. I'm a Goldfish keeper too. I'll see if I can help. What's your water change routine? It should be at least half the water removed and replaced weekly. If it's not to this level, then very gradually increase the amount of water you change. Add some minced garlic to your fish's diet. Get the good organic kind and feed a little a couple of times a day. Is this the only fish in the tank. If so, get one or two more if the tank is fairly large. Goldfish are social and like company. Also, add some floating plants, like Hornwort or Anacharis (Elodea). Most important, keep the water very clean.

B

Back
Top Bottom