Goldfish help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK - lets stop beating up the OP about tank size at the moment. A rock that is stuck in the fish's throat is a bit of an emergency. You have a few days to work at it or you won't have a fish left.

If you can see the rock lodged in the throat, and the fish cannot eat, you need to manually remove it. That means anesthetizing the fish so it will allow you to work.

Ideally, you want as real anesthetic (like FinQuil), but clove oil is prob what you can get your hands on in a hurry. This is the instruction:
Sedate with Finquel or Clove Oil

Once the fish is anesthetized, you need to open its mouth & grab the rock with long thin tweezers & remove it.

If the fish can still eat, occasionally, it can work the rock out by itself. So you can wait a few days. If it can swallow the rock, then it will likely pass out the other end. But a rock that is totally stuck will need your help (or a vet) to remove it.

Once you get rid of the rock, you should remove your aquarium gravel. As a rule, goldfish should have gravel that is either small enough to pass through the system (1/8") or less, or too big to be swallowed (say 1/2 to 3/4").

And yes, a common needs to be in a pond eventually ... they get to be 12-18" long ..... <A 20 is only big enough for a fancy ... not a common or a comet.>

Oh ok. Ya and later today I'm going to buy bigger gravel for my tank. I don't see any more rocks in it's mouth now so I'm hoping he spit em out. Where would I find that kind of stuff to anesthetize my fish if I need to help it like that in the future?

Also there is no way I can get a pond for my fish no matter how much I'd LOVE that and we have lots of raccoons that live at our house. And like I said there really is no hope of me getting a 20 gallon tank in the near future. I just hope I'm not torturing my fish by giving it such a small living space.

Puggle88 said:
Could I release it into the wild in a big pond at my sisters house if it isn't good for my fish to be stuck in a tiny tank? It would just have to learn to fend on it's own.

You can put it into your sisters pond, but DON'T release it into the wild. Goldfish are considered as an invasive species an can take over waterways pretty quickly, outcompeting fish for food, so please don't.

bruinsbro1997 said:
You can put it into your sisters pond, but DON'T release it into the wild. Goldfish are considered as an invasive species an can take over waterways pretty quickly, outcompeting fish for food, so please don't.

Lol somebody released around 12, 1 foot goldfish into the pond by my house and they all died

Back
Top Bottom