Goldfish help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puggle88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Iowa USA land of the corn, beans, and cows oh my!
Please help me!!!! I have a common goldfish about 2 inches long and it has swallowed a BUNCH of tiny rocks. What can I do to get all those rocks out so I don't hurt it? how long can it survive like this? Can it's insides be permanently damaged from the rocks? Please please please help me!!!!

Are you sure it swallowed them? Normally my goldfish spit anything that isn't food back out.

And if the rocks are tiny enough to fit through its digestive system and be expelled out the other end, then you can feed it bits of shelled peas to help clear out its system. Otherwise idk if thered be much helping it:(
You'd just have to wait and see.

He hasnt swallowed them they are just stuck. I can see em when my fish opens it's mouth. After a while he sometimes spits some of em out. He had so many of em in his mouth earlier that I thought he was going to die. I could even hear the rocks grinding in his mouth and he still kept trying to eat the food that was lying in the rocks.

He has spit most of em out after those few minutes, but there are still a few left in his mouth. I'm just so worried he may die. I have heard or getting rocks out with tweezers if he can't get em out. I may just go into petco monday and get bigger rocks so I don't have to worry about it.

What if he really swallows em? Would they get stuck in his stomach and kill him? :/

If the rocks cause intestinal blockage it will back up and result in death. Sorry to say. If it was a full grown goldfish it could be removed by surgery but not in one that small

And also, not to tell you what to do with your fish, but goldfish should be in a bigger home than that. They can grow as big as a softball. 20 gallons is recommended minimum for one. And also bc of the amount of waste they produce.

Idk if you knew this or not and this tank was temporary, but just in case:)
And a 59 cent goldfish is worth more than that bc it becomes our pet:) (like you said)

Ya I heard that. But my house has to many big windows and there is no place for a 20 gallon tank or even a 10 gallon cuz the one I have is on my dresser and it probly can't support much more weight. And even that is by a window. Otherwise I would totally have a 20 gallon there is just to many windows.

i had like a 5" fish and i didt know that it cant be with goldfish and he eat 1 goldfish

Ohh. A 5 gallon would be perfect for a betta and some shrimp and maybe a snail. You could put live plants and sand in. It would be very interesting.

But a goldfishs growth will be stunted in a 5. It warps the spine

Aww. The main reason I got the goldfish was to eat my snails that were invading my tank. I had one before and he ate almost all my snails in less than a week But he died I think cuz he freaked out so much. So I got this one and it never eats the snails.

I do have a kindof good place for a 20 gallon but id have to buy a stand for it and I just got a gerbil so my mom probly wouldn't let me spend much more money on pets as of now (even if its my work money).

Ohh I meant like an apple or mystery snail. They're bigger. Not those little pest snails

And yeah I know how that is.
A gerbil and fish + a job and maybe school is a lot of work too

Back
Top Bottom