Goldfish resting with face on the ground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're fine for now, just keep up on the water changes but remember just small ones, once you get everything squared away with your paramiters test it every other day, but just know you will need a way bigger tank to keep fancy goldfish or that you will have to rehome him in the future, I would leave him in that tank for now.

I will keep up on the water changes and will save up for a larger tank. what size would you recommend? 50 gallon?

Okay here's the thing, you first have to find out what fish you want to stock and how many, as some fish are schooling and need to have 6+ of their own kind, then find out how big they get, how much space they need, etc etc if you went just fancy which starting out I would recommend one species, so a 55 gallon you could have maybe at max 3-4 maybe more in not into goldfish or fancy goldfish, they produce so much ammonia is really tedious tank maintenence, aqadvisor.Com is really reliable on stocking advice, compatibility advice, filtration etc etc

Okay here's the thing, you first have to find out what fish you want to stock and how many, as some fish are schooling and need to have 6+ of their own kind, then find out how big they get, how much space they need, etc etc if you went just fancy which starting out I would recommend one species, so a 55 gallon you could have maybe at max 3-4 maybe more in not into goldfish or fancy goldfish, they produce so much ammonia is really tedious tank maintenence, aqadvisor.Com is really reliable on stocking advice, compatibility advice, filtration etc etc

I will probably just stick with 3 goldfish for awhile. I used the goldfish stock calculator linked above and it said a 50 gallon was fine for that many. Thank you for all the help! :)

Just know upping to a 50 you're gonna have to get a good filter like I would recommend an aqua clear 110, your gonna have to cycle the tank etc etc you're pretty much starting over

Just know upping to a 50 you're gonna have to get a good filter like I would recommend an aqua clear 110, your gonna have to cycle the tank etc etc you're pretty much starting over

Can i use the filter media from my current tank to cycle the bigger one? Or do i need to completely start over?

One thing you can do to advance your situation it to get a bag the net type work pretty good from the grocery store the produce comes in. Get a box of ceramic rings /filter media ($12-16) and hang them in the tank in the bag next to the intake of the filter.

You can also add more surface for BB by adding a sponge filter add on - or prefilter filter sponge around the intake and all the foam nooks and crannies will develop BB.

This way you will be adding additional value to the cycle of the new filter or tank to maybe even have it ready and fully functional when you do get a new set up.

You can look for a excellent condition used tank / set up, just make sure to know your best prices for new stuff so you don't get taken. Just because someone else paid $400 for something doesn't mean you need to when you can get it one sale for $250. (those are just numbers pulled out of the air for demonstration purposes,
:) )

Some times people give away older, slightly scratched or unwanted tanks, especially 55G (48" long) since they are so huge it is inconvenient to store them when people move and after awhile sometimes they are just changing life situations and need to do something else. You may want a nice tank but can get a less than perfect one sooner while still saving for a nicer one.

Same with a variety of filters and substrate, etc. so you can know ahead of time when you stumble on a great deal new or used.

For that matter you may

One thing you can do to advance your situation it to get a bag the net type work pretty good from the grocery store the produce comes in. Get a box of ceramic rings /filter media ($12-16) and hang them in the tank in the bag next to the intake of the filter.

You can also add more surface for BB by adding a sponge filter add on - or prefilter filter sponge around the intake and all the foam nooks and crannies will develop BB.

This way you will be adding additional value to the cycle of the new filter or tank to maybe even have it ready and fully functional when you do get a new set up.

You can look for a excellent condition used tank / set up, just make sure to know your best prices for new stuff so you don't get taken. Just because someone else paid $400 for something doesn't mean you need to when you can get it one sale for $250. (those are just numbers pulled out of the air for demonstration purposes,
:) )

Some times people give away older, slightly scratched or unwanted tanks, especially 55G (48" long) since they are so huge it is inconvenient to store them when people move and after awhile sometimes they are just changing life situations and need to do something else. You may want a nice tank but can get a less than perfect one sooner while still saving for a nicer one.

Same with a variety of filters and substrate, etc. so you can know ahead of time when you stumble on a great deal new or used.

For that matter you may

Thank you so much i will keep an eye out for used tanks :)

Back
Top Bottom