Goldfish resting with face on the ground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxkitzoxx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_5178.jpg

I just picked up this cute oranda this past weekend, and it seems fine but when it rests it has its nose on the gravel and his tail in the air, is this normal?

Nope. What are your water parameters?

pH is 7, 20 gallon tank, 40 gallon filter, 30% water change every few days

I feed them small floating pellets on weekdays and frozen peas on weekends

The other two fish in the tank don't act like this, it is only the one fish doing this , could it be from how the pet store cared for him?

pH is 7, 20 gallon tank, 40 gallon filter, 30% water change every few days

I feed them small floating pellets on weekdays and frozen peas on weekends

The other two fish in the tank don't act like this, it is only the one fish doing this , could it be from how the pet store cared for him?

Not sure on temperature since my sticker thermometer stopped working (ive ordered a different one it should be in in the next few days) but room temperature is about 60 F

How long have you had the tank set up? Have you tested ammonia levels? Do you treat your water before adding it?

Water quality is usually the first culprit when it comes to fish illnesses.

How long have you had the tank set up? Have you tested ammonia levels? Do you treat your water before adding it?

Water quality is usually the first culprit when it comes to fish illnesses.

I've had this tank set up for about 3 weeks now, but prior to this they were in an older tank for about 3 months. I treat new water with water conditioner and let it sit for a few hours before adding it to the tank. I haven't tested ammonia recently.

What can I do to treat this?
The first step is to figure out what's wrong!

Swimming at unusual angles is often related to swim bladder issues. I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. However, I do know poor water quality makes everything worse. Fish that might not otherwise be bothered could be overwhelmed if their system is compromised by ammonia in the water.

The first step is to figure out what's wrong!

Swimming at unusual angles is often related to swim bladder issues. I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. However, I do know poor water quality makes everything worse. Fish that might not otherwise be bothered could be overwhelmed if their system is compromised by ammonia in the water.

I will test the ammonia when i am able to buy more testing strips, could ammonia be bad even with regular water changes?

Water changes are the most important thing, but you can also get chemicals to neutralize the ammonia. What conditioner do you use? A lot of them help.

It looks like TopFin does help reduce the effects of ammonia, but it's not listed as a selling point.

Water changes are your best friend right now!

It looks like TopFin does help reduce the effects of ammonia, but it's not listed as a selling point.

Water changes are your best friend right now!

Would buying the bottle of ammonia remover be a good idea? Does that actually work? And how much of a water change do you suggest? 50%?

Would buying the bottle of ammonia remover be a good idea? Does that actually work? And how much of a water change do you suggest? 50%?
Well, that depends on how you want to spend your money. If you've got $10 in your budget right now, buy the API liquid ammonia test kit. In fact, that would be my next purchase with one exception. Don't buy strips. They are less money upfront, but the per test cost is ridiculous. If you have $30, buy the API master test kit. That kit includes the ammonia test, among others, so you won't have to buy each test individually. Like many bundles, it is less expensive than its combined components.

If you buy either of those and still have some funds, then do the detoxifier. I've heard good things about API's AmmoLock, and I love Seachem's Prime. In fact, Prime is a pretty well respected conditioner in and of itself.

Test kit first, though!

Keep up with the 30% water changes every other day until ammonia reads zero.

I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable with swim bladder issues will have some insights soon.

Well, that depends on how you want to spend your money. If you've got $10 in your budget right now, buy the API liquid ammonia test kit. In fact, that would be my next purchase with one exception. Don't buy strips. They are less money upfront, but the per test cost is ridiculous. If you have $30, buy the API master test kit. That kit includes the ammonia test, among others, so you won't have to buy each test individually. Like many bundles, it is less expensive than its combined components.

If you buy either of those and still have some funds, then do the detoxifier. I've heard good things about API's AmmoLock, and I love Seachem's Prime. In fact, Prime is a pretty well respected conditioner in and of itself.

Test kit first, though!

Keep up with the 30% water changes every other day until ammonia reads zero.

I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable with swim bladder issues will have some insights soon.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Swim bladder experts, what do you say?

I have a test kit and ammo lock in my amazon cart and will buy them once i get paid this week, i will update when i test the water

Don't get the strips, get the api master liquid test kit it will save you money in the long run, it tests for ammonia, nitrite, ph, Nitrate, the kit is costly but not bad right around 30.00 but lasts forever and gives you very accurate readings where the strips do not, water quality is the utmost of importance when fish keeping that's why test kit I recommended is in my opinion a must have.

As for the fish no it's not normal water temp isn't very important to gold fish as they are considered pond fish and will outgrow that tank in a month, gold fish put out a huge amount of waste which leads to high amounts of ammonia /nitrite.

I would also recommend the water conditioner called prime its made by seachem, if you can't buy it where you live there are others but prime in my opinion is absolutely amazing.

Back
Top Bottom