Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2014, 03:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Goldfish Septicemia

I belive one of my goldfish has developed goldfish sepis. She has red veiny streaky fins a red sore from the base of one of her fins and is very lethargic. She was already a floater due to previous swim bladder problems and I belive she developed a sore and it became infected.
I have three goldfish in a 37gal tank. I cant seem to find my testing kit as I just moved but my water quality isnt good. I'm doing lots of water changes to fix that but my question is what do I use to treat this?
I have kanaplex and metrodozile. Which one should I use? I've always had good luck with the kanaplex but I'm not sure which one would better treat this. Also should I put it into the water or make it into a medicated food? Any help would be appreciated. I'm also not able to take any photos right now due to misplacing my camera but I could post pictures that depict what I'm describing.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After a lot of digging I found my camera! Here are some close ups, in the second photo what I'm trying to show is the redness at the rear base of the fin, not the front fin. That fin has always been that way and the opposite one is the same. i believe it to just be a coloration. Keep in mind this fish is upside down.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Roz
Aquarium Advice Freak

Goldfish Septicemia

Could you try doing frequent large water changes - like 50% once or twice a day, to see if that helps?

You might try aquarium salt, too, to help with healing. Be careful with amounts - just add a little and only add back the amount corresponding with the volume of water changed rather than the volume for the whole tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Water changes and salt will not cure sepsis. It's very serious, but can be treatable. Strong antibiotics are needed. I think either of yours will work. Medicated food will help as well as long as your goldie is eating.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Also just to be clear, water changes will help. but I don't think salt will.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Roz
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
Also just to be clear, water changes will help. but I don't think salt will.

Sorry about that - I thought it might do a little good - at least until one of the experts could advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes I would definitly treat with antibacterials. Sepsis is a bacterial infection. I have discus and I treated them with furan 2 for a less serious bacterial infection and they recovered very quickly. I have never had such quick success with fish medication. Also water changes are very important as noted.

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com