goldfish sitting on bottom, swollen side, still feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cypher007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
been like this for about a month. tried em tablets. still feeds. does swim occasionally, but seems twitchy.

also the tank has a lot of white fluffy spots/clusters on the glass above the water line.

img_2709555_0_4125bd6ce8f3da313194407096363266.jpg

Could the white spots above the water line be remnants from the tablets? I'm certainly no expert and have just started out, but when I gave my gold fish fluke tablets, some of the un dissolved medicine gathered above the water line.

As to the health if your little guy, I'll leave that to the experts. But I know they always ask for tank size and water parameters (do you have a liquid test kit?). If you posted that info now, they will be able to assist you more quickly.

Good luck and I hope the little guy gets better soon, R

Welcome to AA!!!

Can you please provide us with some more information? Tank size? Stocking? Parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph)? Water change schedule (%/#wk)? How long you have had the fish in question?

Beyond just the swelling, I can see very heavy veining in the fins, hemorrhaging along the base of the dorsal fin and some missing scales. Veining/hemorrhaging is most typically the result of water quality issues but can be the result of other issues. We really need more information in order to be able to help!

having some probs with pics. anyway ive started using:

Myxazin

but ive got some sterazin and [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PROTOZIN[/FONT][/FONT] as well.

Do you have liquid tests for your water parameters? If not, can you take a sample to your lfs and have it tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph and let us know what these read? Gh and Kh would be helpful as well. What kind of water change schedule do you have?

Without knowing the conditions in your tank, its difficult to rule out water quality as factor in his health issues. Meds are ineffective if the water quality is unhealthy and the root cause of health issues.

That looks like ick I use coppersafe

Definitely not ich but ich can be treated safely and easily without the use of toxic chemicals if it were the case. Copper meds should only be used in conjunction with copper tests and as a last resort. :)

had another look last night and the swelling is about the same. I feel maybe its either a tumour or tb. is it possible for a fish to get tb in a tank on its own?

Unlikely tb especially with a single fish living by himself for years. As we still do not have any information in respect to tank conditions or water changes, its difficult to offer constructive help here. The hemorrhages indicate serious issues here but I do not know if they are result of water quality issues or an infection.

Back
Top Bottom