Goldfish swimming vertically in one spot. What's wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tesslester

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank and one of my goldfish has been swimming in an upward position in the same spot beside the heater for about two days. I have had him for about three months. It looks almost like he is doing a dance and just staying in one spot. My levels are all ok and I just cured them for ick and worms. He swims to get food and is eating fine, and he also swims whenever I walk up to the tank. But other than that, he just swims in one place in an upward position as if he was going to swim to the top, but just stays in one spot. He wiggles. His stomach does look a tad bit bloated but nothing major. I don't know if it could be because he may be bloated or is there a sickness that he might have? Or could it just be that he likes the heat coming off of the heater? I'm trying to figure out what is causing him to swim like this. Thanks! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 102
Your situation sounds familiar to the situation I had with my fantail. He was floating at the corner of the tank. Time passes and my fish starts getting lopsided. I still consider myself new to fish keeping but maybe your goldie has swim bladder disease. I've read so much to know that SBD is very common for goldies due to how their internal organs are like. Try feeding your fish a pea, with the shell removed, and mash it so your fish can eat it properly.

Hope you fix this soon! Good luck.

He is just sitting at the bottom of the tank not swimming anymore, now. But I'm going to feed him a pea and see how things turn out from there. I've read a lot about it as well, and I think that might be the problem. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom