Goldfish tail fin curled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitzo77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I bought two goldfish for my 45g tank and one of them has a curled tail fin. I read some places it is genetic and others that it is from overstocking?
IMG_7358.jpg
IMG_7359.jpg
IMG_7965.jpg

I made the mistake with using tetra safestart plus so my ammonia is reading high but i'm doing waterchanges untill it's 0
IMG_7984.jpg

Ill update after waterchanges!

Just do 25%-50% water changes and slightly overdose with prime until ammonia is down. Use Seachem Stability to add bacteria to break down the ammonia, I am facing the same problem right now. I don't know what is up with the goldfish, maybe fin clamp.
Good Luck

Prime turns ammonia to ammonium, which reads the same but is less toxic.

How long has your tank been up?

About a week. I asked the man at the pet shop and he said that Tetra Safestart plus would instantly cycle the tank. Which I should've known it was full of ammonia. I am reading nitrate though which is a plus? Should I do another waterchange tonight or wait another day?

Do a small one tonight and if you don't have prime and/or Stability get then tomorrow or the next day and do another water change.

Pet store people... I don't get it. I literally heard a big box pet store employee explaining to a customer that bettas don't mind bad water quality yesterday. She was literally telling the customer that she doesn't have to take good care of her pet.

Wait until tomorrow for the next water change. Prime is very good stuff. You can dose a little heavily while cycling.

Pet store people... I don't get it. I literally heard a big box pet store employee explaining to a customer that bettas don't mind bad water quality yesterday. She was literally telling the customer that she doesn't have to take good care of her pet.

Wait until tomorrow for the next water change. Prime is very good stuff. You can dose a little heavily while cycling.

Thank you! I should've been more skeptical. I'll be more patient next time.

Do what he says, order Stability on amazon or online somewhere then

Ah. Sorry. For some reason I thought you had done a 50% change. Yes do another 25%.

Alright! Do you have any ideas about the curled fin? It was curled coming from the pet store, I noticed when he was in the acclimating bag.

Alright! Do you have any ideas about the curled fin? It was curled coming from the pet store, I noticed when he was in the acclimating bag.

It is probably fin clamp, I can't really see from those pictures what part of the fin you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom