Goldfish with mouthrot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StitchPrime

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So Im going to try do this briefly because this website just deleted every thing that I had been typing and explaining everything in great detail for the last hour. Fish has mouth rot due to poor water conditions. I thought the tank was recycling because of a huge clean I did, which I think may have gave way to this mouthrot (I now know about the biological filter and nitrogen cycle and know how to change water and clean properly with out disturbing the cycle), but my readings may indicate my tank is cycled but with poor filtration. Picture attached. Do you think the high ammonia could be due to a filter not being good enough? 20 gallon tank with a 10/20 gallon Great Choice filter. I have been doing 7 gallon water changes every night using prime water conditioner water not too cold. to get ammonia down because it did spike ive been testing every day since I noticed the injury and doing water changes to lower the ammonia. Today I tested everything got low nitrites and average nitrates, which leads me to believe I dont have a cycling problem anymore but a filter problem. The cycling could have happened very quickly because despite the huge clean I know now I should not have done, the set up is over 2 years old. This again is about mouth rot, I have ordered kanaplex. It will be here tomorrow. With these water conditions do you think adding a new filter along with my old one for the time being would help with my ammonia problems? In this situation is it okay to do multiple daily water changes to lower the ammonia or should a new filter and my 24 hour pwc's be enough to bring it back to zero? And should I wait for ammonia to reach zero before adding kanaplex I read it could make it less effective, but he definitely has mouth rot. no injuries anywhere else on his whole body no discoloration or clamped fins or spots or anything, just the injured mouth area. Which leads me to believe he has mouth rot due to poor water conditions so should I add the medicine as soon as I get it for the injury or just keep trying to get the water back to normal before I add the medicine. I know need a larger tank for my goldfish as well Im planning on upgrading a soon as I have him well again. I am doing everything I can and if I knew everything I know now I might not need assistance but Im much more informed now. Please help and advise, serious responses only. Please don't judge even experts didn't know what they know now. Again Please help and thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20170403_113748.jpg
    IMG_20170403_113748.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20170329_132530.jpg
    IMG_20170329_132530.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 57
Personally I like to at least double the filtration per gallons. My 20 gal tank has a 40 gal filter with 3 fancy goldfish (temporarily) and my water parameters check good if i keep up with weekly waterchanges.

Personally I like to at least double the filtration per gallons. My 20 gal tank has a 40 gal filter with 3 fancy goldfish (temporarily) and my water parameters check good if i keep up with weekly waterchanges.

I agree with kitzo77, They are very dirty fish!

Back
Top Bottom