Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Goldfish with one bubble where eye used to be

I have been wondering if its smart to ask this, since I have no idea of the tank parameters, and have little information but maybe someone knows something about it.

My mother has a 10 meter long (30cm tall) tank with 4-5 goldfish in it. Last time I was down visiting, I noticed that one of the goldfish (can't recall if its a fantail or comet) was missing an eye and in place of the eye was a bubble. The fish was rescused around 5-6 years ago from a flooding pond. They've lived with Mum in that tank since then.

The fish was not showing signs of distress and was eating fine. I asked my mother when it it happened and she mentioned it had been like that "for around a month". That was easily 6-7 months ago.

I don't believe that she runs the full lot of tests. She fills up the tank with a hose. The fish don't seeem to mind. She does a water change occasionally. Other than that, I don't think she touches the tank much.

It's got gravel and rocks. there's algae on the surfaces and the gravel. She wouldn't know what a gravel vac is.

Sorry I can't provide more info. I don't even know if we should/can do anything. I was just kind of curious as to what it might be.

marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

A 10 meter tank! Wow, that is quite the digs for just 4-5 goldies. <That thing must be 300 gal or more.>

With such a huge tank (really a pond), and low bioload, it is no wonder you don't have to do much maintenance.

2 possibilities for the gold:
If it is a fantail or other fancy (and you got it as a fry) - it is possible that it is a bubble eye variant (and is just showing the bubble as it grows). It is likely a reject from the fancy breeders as it has only one bubble on one side, and missing eye. <Desirable bubble eyes has equal size bubbles on both sides, and eyes on the top ends of the bubbles - although most are more or less blind - anything else, missing bubbles, or missing eyes usu. get sent to be feeder fish.>
this is the wiki on bubble-eyes, with pics: Bubble Eye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the fish was a normal adult & now has developed the missing eye & bubble, then it is either injury causing eye loss, or possibly pop-eye (which is from an infection or less likely tumor). Dropsied golds also can have pop-eyes, but that is usu. both eyes.

A picture would help a lot .... but if the fish is acting fine for many months, it is unlikely to be a disease.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
yeah it is quite the digs, and it is a beautiful tank with yellow glass on the stand. Very 70s. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

The fish were adults when we got them. As I mentioned, Mum and I got a call from a friend whose pond was flooding and neeed help rescung as many fish as possible. We rescued several but we couldn't get all of them, regrettably.

Anyway, they've been in the tank several years and it is only recently that this fish has developed this bubble and it's only on one side. It looks exactly like a goldie that you see with bubbles on both sides but there is no sign of this occuring on the other side of his/her face.

I've looked up pop-eye. Since there is no eye left on the affected side of this fish I can't rule it out. Is it possible it started out as pop-eye and just kept going into a bubble?

I'll get a photo next time I'm down there (probably Easter)
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Bubble-eyes develope the bubbles at 3-4 months old, so it is not likely to be one if it is just developing one after being in the tank for several years.

The few pop eyes I've seen end up being shrunken (or the fish is dead) ... but that is not to say that a bubble cannot form. However, I would think that an injury is most likely in your case, since the fish is fine for so long.

Tags
bubble, eye, goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com