Goldfish with One Swollen Side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arok2092

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello AA, my goldfish Shubunking has a swollen side and I want to know if anyone knows what is wrong with him. He is the orange and white with black small black spots shubunkin in the video. I want to clarify that Shubunking is without a doubt male.

I noticed his left side sticking out about three days ago. I fed him peas and fasted him for two days and noticed no change. If anyone has any ideas how I could help him I would greatly appreciate it. :(

Tank size: 55 gallons
Tank occupants: 5 goldfish

pH: 7.6-8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

Your waters good, whats your water change schedulr? Those are a few too many goldfish for a 55. Are his scales sticking out like a pinecone? Is he acting funny? Breathing heavy not eating laying on his side etc.

I do a 30% water change weekly. He doesn't have dropsy, he isn't pineconing.

He certainly is acting less lively then usual. His breathing is normal and he hasn't rolled over on his side or done anything unusual. Also, his eating habits are acting normal.

Thanks for the speedy reply! Any ideas?

I also wanna add I give my goldfish peas once every week.

Have you tried fasting? If not it might be a internal infection, I havent had any expiriance with that but if you end up needing to order meds try dr.fostersandsmith or amazon. Let me do some googling and see what else I can find. Any other odd symptoms or new you've done to the tank??

Thanks for that. Yes I already tried fasting and saw no. Nothing in the tank has changed is several weeks. I have no idea why this is happening to him. All my other fish are acting fine...no other symptoms.

Hmmm. I would treat for internal parasites just in case. It sounds as though it's an internal parasite. If I were you I'd pm JLK. She is the goldfish expert around here!

Hmmm. I would treat for internal parasites just in case. It sounds as though it's an internal parasite. If I were you I'd pm JLK. She is the goldfish expert around here!

I second that. I'm suprized she hasnt replied already lol. She always seems to find all the goldfish forums.

Hey Shubunkings still alive and his condition is getting worse by the day. If anyone can help please respond.

Did you try pming jlk?? Because unless he's pineconing I really dont know whats wrong :(

Sorry its been a while since I've posted. Been busy but I have been talking with JLK and she has determined its likely either internal parasites or a tumor. Neither is good and a tumor is more likely but I am attempting to cure it. I have Shubunking set up in a 5 gallon quarantine tank by himself and will being treating him tomorrow with API General Cure. Also have some Metro Med fish medicine on the side so that he can be fed that nice healthy food and hopefully do better. Currently Shubunking seems to be pretty active that not as much as he used to be and the swelling has halted too. I don't know if that's good or bad but he's certainly not happy about being in the 5 gallon! I'll keep this post updated for anyone who is interested and other people who will inevitably have this problem.

Back
Top Bottom