Goldfish with one very dialated eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ln53

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a goldfish for almost a year now. Up until 2 days ago, looked and acted fine. 2 days ago, started swimming/floating on it's side and upside down. Just appeared disoriented and sick or something. I put it in a gallon bucket of fresh water. It floated on it's side at the bottom for a while, then perked up. I put it back in the tank that night. Next day, back to same old thing. Looked dead at first when I saw it in the morning. Put it back in container with fresh water. Got better again. So I changed out the whole tank and rinsed décor and rocks. Changed the filter. Refilled and put him in it. This was a few hours ago, and seems good as new. ALMOST. Got a good look at it. One of it's eyes are completely black. I don't know if it's dilated, or this is how it looks in back of the eye, and he actually lost it? Any ideas of what this may be and what to do about it?

It sounds like there was a water issue and adding to the fish to the Gallon bucket was great fresh safe zone water, return to old tank back to poor water, new freshly cleaned tank better.

You don't have a cycled tank now I think. And a goldfish often creates a higher amount of mess and amount of waste.

They need a really well filtered, clean water and great safe zone parameters, large tank space for growing as they can grow really large, slowly sinking food so they don't gulp air at the water surface.

Here are a couple important articles to read
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

I have seen fish like this but don't know why the eye is like that. Is it clear
and not hazy/ cloudy?

Do you see any worms any where like eyes, anus, mouth or gills?

Does not appear cloudy or hazy. One eye normal, the other one all black. No worms that I can see.

What does the eye issue look like? a picture would really help us.. does it look like this?
popeye2sm.jpg

image source

I wish I had a smart phone so that I can send a pic. It's close, but with that pic, there is black and then a lighter shade around it, even though it's dark still. With my fish, it is all one shade of dark black.

Back
Top Bottom