Goldfish with septicemia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
goldfish with septicemia

Yayyy!! So glad to hear he is getting better.... AquariaCentral has a great list of treatments and contraindications (what meds not to mix with other meds, certain fish, invertebrates etc...). I usually check any advice I get from others there just to make sure..... So glad it is working...

Just saw your other post about changing the media.... I was a little confused.... I think you are right. Changing media like adding carbon seems to be indicated if you need to get the other medicine out to make sure it does not interact with the new meds. So I would not change it if I was putting more of the old medicine in. However i would read the page I just mentioned and read as much as possible about that medicine and any new ones you add to both check their compatibility with each other and to see if there is another reason we both don't know about that you need to change the media. It may have to do with the water solubility of the medicine etc....

goldfish with septicemia

Just realized I wasn't clear.... For example some meds activity may strengthen or change over time etc... So I would check to see how long medicine stays active and it may need to be taken out of the water. Or for example, you have to be careful with epsom salts because each time you add more salts with a water change, the remaining salts in old water become stronger....

Also I meant to say nitrite needs to be zero not nitrate.

I am only one person, I would check other authorities on this advice but I just successfully treated dropsy, hemorrhagic septicemia with a bacterial infection secondary to internal parasites successfully with epsom salts, general cure, furan 2, marycyn 2, erythromycin and kannaplex...... I KNOW that is ALOT of medicines but they were to the point they had dropsy so I thought I didn't have much to lose since they were very bloated with ulcers and bright red..... Luckily they were still eating and I gave them medicated food with antibiotics, parasite meds, and dewormers mixed in it... and it worked!

My son washed his hands with soap over the bucket of water going into a 120 gallon aquarium with six fancy goldfish. So the fish were very stressed by a crisis quick move into a bucket and then a new aquarium. One fish died within 20 minutes but the rest have recovered after a month of nursing from all the above due to the stress. My first successful fish recoveries so I wish you the best....

Also sorry I repeated some other advice earlier for some reason I did not see the moderators and others very helpful posts!

Alright thanks I will continue to read about the medications and side effects etc also I just now think I shouldn't add anything else medication wise the main problem now is bloating I'm continuing the furan 2 treatment It is working so I hope it continues also he's still not eating which is concerning still to me .

The fish seems a lot better now should I stop the second treatment of furan 2 I already finished the first round 4 days now done with day 1 of the second round I know your not supposed to stop mid way with medications but I do think he is getting better it's just that he's still sitting on the bottom.

The fish seems a lot better now should I stop the second treatment of furan 2 I already finished the first round 4 days now done with day 1 of the second round I know your not supposed to stop mid way with medications but I do think he is getting better it's just that he's still sitting on the bottom.
Don't stop. *Always* complete antibiotic courses. I mean, unless you have a severe reaction or something, but otherwise ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS finish an antibiotic course.

He has eaten for two days now but is still sitting on the bottom what should I do?

Is he still improving? Re-checked water chem and done a water change?

If improving I would just let him recover. That's a pretty severe infection and tbh not many fish can survive it.

Is he still improving? Re-checked water chem and done a water change?

If improving I would just let him recover. That's a pretty severe infection and tbh not many fish can survive it.

He is improving no more red at all.

Well yeah I am doing water changes as to the directions on the medication I guess my question is if it's swim bladder disease or bloating I don't know the problem I'm going to give him some peas do you think that might help I don't want to add anymore medications unless it's absolutely necessary.

Ok sounds good. So is he just sitting on the bottom or is there still bloating? If there is bloating, does it get worse after feeding? Basically looking at if there is bloating what the cause might be (eg simple indigestion or infected organs). Also are his fins clamped or upright and does he move off bottom at all? If he does, how does he swim (upright, upside-down, etc).

Also last water check I could find was on 24th with slight ammonia noted. I'd do another water check (including ph).

I didn't see your comment until now he swims goes upright right way to the the top and swims more now he just goes to the bottom there doesn't look like any more bloating and no more red just sitting on the bottom when he moves his fins are upright when he sits he clamps them and I'm starting to feed him one thawed frozen pea with the shell off.

Also I'll check in the morning for the levels and get back to you asap

Ok there, how's ph, temp and ammonia?

Is there anything else which may be stressing him out? Eg water changes are just bucket tipped in? What I'm trying to do is get to what the cause is as I believe you have tried Epsom salts and a pea?

And this tank and fish have been set up for a year now?

Basically why do you think he got sick in the first place? If just lack of water changes, then trying kanaplax makes sense. However there have been quite a few cases where eg the water company has changed the water and fish got sick. So just seeing if he looks better or gets worse with any change done to tank?

I think he got sick originally because of lack of water changes I was doing around half or more per week so should I add kaneplex then? I did try to feed him a pea I think he eat it I don't see it anymore so.
I did add some epson salt should I add more?
I was hoping that when I was done with the furan 2 if I do a lot of water changes that would help so I'm going to continue to do water changes and get back to you by the end of tomorrow if that works or not.

I forgot to test for ammonia and ph I'll do it soon water temperature has always been around low to high 60s

Back
Top Bottom