Goldfish with septicemia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matf1234

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi my goldfish has speciemia at first I didn't know what it was I changed my water half of it each week and thought I just needed to change more I did I changed all the water in the tank about 15 times I also did a aquarium flush and did check for ammonia and nitrite nitrate ammonia is 0.25 in aquarium and 0.24 in the tap also nitrate is 0 and nitrite is 20 ppm I believe hard to tell I bought medication quickly at Petsmart and added yesterday it's api furan 2 for speciemia I also received today maracyn 2 from eBay my question is he doesn't look better actually worse and I was told by a experienced fish keeper to add maracyn 2 with furan 2 both at the same time should I do this should I add both at one time ?

I need to know soon please help I have one goldfish in a 15 gallon tank i have a hang on the rack filter and gravel on the bottom I added sechem prime and also bought sechem kaneplex from eBay but it won't arrive for a couple days to what do you recommend I do add the maracyn 2 or just continue with furan 2 alone

Your first post was at 1am eastern time. Please be patient.

How long has this tank been up? What kind of filter? A lot of people are going to point out that 15 gallons is far too small for a goldfish. It's hard to cure anything while your fish is in an inappropriately sized environment.

How do you know it's speciemia? What are the symptoms?

A year it ha been up I need to know if I can mix medications or not furan 2 and kaneplex or maracyn 2 can I mix one of those together

It's speciemia because of what I looked up Red blood like fins red face sitting on the bottom very lethargic not responding to doing so many water changes is also one his whole underbelly looks like it's bleeding it's very very very bad fourm of speciemia i know it's undersized I'm in the process of getting a 155 gallon aquarium I will get on the 29 th just please can anyone tell me if it's okay too mix medications I heard this may or may not be true that it would befint the fish ??? Please help he's getting worse every second.

Can anyone help?

If the ph is less than 8 or water is not hard, then the maracyn 2 should work (not as effective in hard water). Else as medicated feed.

Ignoring all else, combining meds is a hard topic. I assume you have posted this elsewhere and would be interested what comes back.

First up any treatment will do better in clean water and good living conditions as pointed out / larger tank you are looking into.

Two issues are meds interactions and interaction with fish that I can think of. On the first generally antibiotics shouldn't be mixed as default however some can be ok.

In theory I think these two can be mixed. Their actions on bacteria don't look similar. In saying that though I've never heard of this combo before.

So if you get any bloating (indicating organ failure) and you think the med is the cause (particularly the maracyn 2), then stop dosing that.

I did not add anything yet just the furan 2 his stomach has gotten bigger a little bit it looks very red I don't know how you post a picture unfortunately from reading online it seems and answers on this fourm is that furan 2 and kaneplex would be better the maracyn 2 and furan 2 do you think that's what I should do add those too instead of the other.

I don't have the kaneplex it's coming tomorrow hopefully I did also dose the aquarium with prime and added aquarium salt I did many many water changes and checked the conditions before I added the medication so I'm comfortable in saying that's it is speciemia I'm just extremely worried about the fish and don't know what else to do.

Goldfish with speciemia

I would dose the maracyn 2 now and it may work. As mentioned in high ph / hard water the effectiveness is much reduced (have study somewhere that showed quite a drop). But it's what you can use now to start treatment and could do ok against septicaemia. I always believe best to start treatment as soon as possible.

Then I'd swap to the kanaplax when it arrives if no improvement.

(Imo I've had some issues with kanaplax where the fish haven't done well. These were quite sick, late treated fish but it seemed that the kanaplax added stress. So also watch for dropsy / scales standing up. I don't want to sound negative on it as I realise I'm biased on only a few uses of it and it is often highly recommended. But just keep an eye on the fish. )

And not to sound a soap-box but I've found temp spikes, not ideal water chemistry, large water changes not temp matched, basically anything that stresses a fish - will make treatment harder (same as us really).

Last edited:
Hi yeah I did start the treatment already with furan 2 in my 3 Rd day already his scales are starting to come up on his belly and he won't eat at all now unfortunately since I'm already seeing bloating do you suggest I not add different medications or like u said add maracyn 2 instead of kaneplex also that medication should come today hopefully.

I'm very upset at myself he's not in good shape I don't think he's going to make it I should have done more water changes the what I was doing very upset at myself.

Also I didn't see your post until now so I still didn't add the maracyn 2.

I don't know if my water is hard or soft I don't know how you would check that unfortunately thanks for the info

I just received the kaneplex so I'm debating whether or not I should add kaneplex or maracyn 2 or just don't add anything and keep using furan 2 alone the manufacture of kaneplex sechem says online never to mix medications but I know sometimes some can so I don't know what to do.

Goldfish with speciemia

Your fine to combine the furan 2 and kanaplax. That's what I would try now.

Keep testing water chemistry to make sure your nitrifying bacteria are going ok with meds ie check ammonia and ph.

The link CB posted is very good and worth saving off / reading through for general information on all med types.

Yes, seachem make a good point. Some meds can be combined and are combined in existing med products. Have to know which ones. Looking at it last night I would say combining the tetracycline group and kanaplax would be hard on fish and they may interact against each other. Whereas furan 2 and kanaplax complement each other.

Last edited:
Is Tetracycline what's in kaneplex?

Tetracyclines are a group of antibiotics which include tetracycline (specifically), minocycline (which is the maracyn 2 med product), oxytetracycline, etc. In general these will easily bind with calcium, magnesium and iron so are best as a medicated feed.

Kanaplax is kanamycin. Entirely seperate. It's a good question and the link above will step through each. Kanaplax is newer and therefore less likely to have bacterial resistance to it.

Back
Top Bottom