Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2004, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to OREO
Goldfishes has dropsy... Please help.

Can someone tell me what's the cause of dropsy n what's the cure for it?
And why is it that when my goldfishes first come they are bright red after awhile they become dull orange?
As for dropsy,
My 2" tank has about 8 goldfishes and 1 by one seems to get infected by it. 1 by 1 is dying. Fishes appetite seems to drop as well.
Really heart pain to see my goldfishes die 1 by 1.
Was thinkin are goldfishes so hard a fish to rear?
Right now,
I dunno if it's the water or some parasites in the tank. How to remove this irritating parasites?
If that's the case, what fishes should I do? Moreover being located in Singapore, the medications are not easily available. There are some brands here but to me I think they're juz fake. Useless.
The last time I cured a problem on water was to put a very sturdy fish in the tank for about 2 months b4 putting goldfishes back in. After that the fishes grew very healthy until some idiots pulled the pluck of the filter over the weekend.

BTW, I m pretty disappointed in myself keeping goldfishes though I really love them ALOT. Can someone advise me to how to cure this problem w some medication that can be easily available in Singapore n what are the steps? If not, I'll juz let them live happily till they go in which I expect it to be < 2 weeks n all will be gone. After that, I would like to keep a more sturdy fish. Can someone oso recommend what fishes I should be keeping?

Old 07-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check out this link
http://www.goldfishinfo.com/ailment1.htm

1-225gal \ 1 60gal hex \ 17-20gal \ 7-10gal in storage
fish_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to OREO
I've tried locating EPSOM salt in Singapore but I juz can't find it.

Anyone in Singapore can help?

Old 07-16-2004, 12:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

maybe try mail order?? good luck!
Old 07-16-2004, 06:21 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Dropsy is a fungal/bacterial infection (depending on who you ask) that causes internal organ failure of the fish. This in turn causes the organs to shut down, and the body fill up with fluid.

try and get ahold of some fungus medicine if you can. Also, be sure it is dropsy, and not just constipation. Are the scales sticking out all over the body? Or is the fish just "fat"?

Epsom salts and cooked peas (with the skin peeled off) will help constipation. Definitley get ahold of some fungus meds, and that should clear up your problem, if your fish isn't too far along already.

Good luck!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know if this will help you find it but Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate heptahydrate or MgSO4 +7H20

Tags
dropsy, goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com