Good 'ol reliable mr. ICH (aargh)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zero2dash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Admin note: if this thread needs to be moved to general freshwater discussion, that's ok by me...I originally was going to put it there but figured it belonged here since it's about ich, even though it's more soapbox/ranting then question/answer in nature. :)

Ah yes...good thing I've been paying lots of attention to my tank because I noticed while feeding my fish tonight that my male betta has ich (and consequently, just found my pleco and realized *it* has ich as well).

Aargh annoying *frickin* disease man!!! :bad-words:

Well, I upped my temperature a few degrees (it's now reading 76/77, it's normally 74), added a total 12 tablespoons of salt (1 tblspn per 5 gallon, 59 gallon tank figure about 12 tblspn)...turned off the lights and pray to god. Gonna raise the temp another 3 degrees when I get ready to go to work today around 3pm (up to 80).

I took a few pictures of the sick betta (pleco hides too good anyway), it's kinda hard to see the spots but trust me they're there (I wish they weren't)...hopefully this'll be the end of it pretty quick and I won't have any casualties. Last bout of ich I had, my entire tank nearly died (1 survivor...the male blue gourami I still have). Aargh aargh sigh frickin aargh :cry:

I think I can see the white spots in your pics.

What you have to do is raise the temp to 87o F (no less) and keep it there for three weeks (no less).

The fish will appear to look worse for a while - that's normal because you are speeding up the ich life cycle with the heat. I agree that Ich is a PITA, but it's also the most curable fish disease out there. Good luck !

BTW, 74oF is a bit cool for tropicals - that temp is better suited for cool water fish like white clouds and goldfish.
Most people keep their tank temps at 78 - 82o F. Cool water temps can stress a fish' immune system.

Most people keep their tank temps at 78 - 82o F. Cool water temps can stress a fish' immune system.
This is true. One day, I looked over at a tank with rams and saw ich everywhere. I turned up the heater, only to discover it was broken and my poor fish were in 72 degree water!

Heat and salt is the best method I have used. I don't recall having any casualties either :D

Back
Top Bottom