Gourami Eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnastix911

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a new, large gourami (3 spots), three days ago. It looked healthy and is eating fine, until I came up to the tank closer today. The gourami has developed, pink fleshy flesh around its eyes. It almost creates an 'eyelid' I have only one gourami before and it was eaten shortly after arrival *glares at catfish*

This one came from a trusted lfs and all my levels are in the safe ranges. Is this normal or do some gouramis just get eyes diseases? Perhaps he was attacked...

your gourami has pop-eye(most likely) It is just an infection brought on by injury. I use pimafix to treat pop-eye. Once you medicate it, it will go away really quickly. Nothing to really be worried about.

no. The eyes on this gourami are almost sunken. The sunken eye has an "eyelid" of normal blue scales and this is surrounded by a complete circle of pink flesh that looks like it is being torn or pushed out, although it has stayed the same as it was last night.

Thank you lmw for the link though! Of course now it has me inspecting my fish for stuff like that...

And another quick Q, I have feeding goldfish for my catfish, a few of them have dropsy and one has internal parasites (clear, stringy poop) I wasn't sure if they were safe for him to eat so I put them in a QT tank. I checked and one was dead this morning, but I figured- they would have died anyways. Safe to put in main tank, although he may not eat them right away?

I wouldn't. I wouldn't use feeder goldfish at all, they are not very healthy and could easily infect you tank.

Well, I have don't have anything to do with them right now, I treated them for parasites, and they will have to hang out in the QT tank until... well I don't know. All four fish stores for some reason don't have feeder guppiers right now. I will have to wait. But if they get healthier- would it be safe then?

Is there any way to get a picture of your gourami's eye? His eye isn't clouded over at all is it?

Back
Top Bottom