Gourami floats like its dead?? Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyJBBPJMT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I performed a water change on my 75 gallon tank. I noticed my neon blue dwarf gourami hiding in the anacharis didn't flee when I came close with the gravel vacuum. He turned out to be dead :( I tested my water and took the fish back to my LFS and they tested as well and said the water was fine. I purchased a new neon blue dwarf gourami and acclimated him last night over a 40 minute period. This morning he was floating at the top of the tank with his mouth pointed at the ceiling and tail at the bottom of the tank. I watched him for a while and he just bobbed around until the filter flow pushed him under and he slowly floated back to the top. I reached in and touched him to see if he was just being goofy or something and there was no response. I assumed he was dead so I went to pull him out but when I touched both of his sides he darted about a foot away and started floating around again. I was happy to find that he was alive but am concerned he's not going to make it. Anyone every see this before or have any ideas? I used Prime to increase the slime coat and reduce harmful/stressful chemicals but there has been no improvement.

Attachments

• image-2980300117.jpg
    image-2980300117.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 52
Yesterday I performed a water change on my 75 gallon tank. I noticed my neon blue dwarf gourami hiding in the anacharis didn't flee when I came close with the gravel vacuum. He turned out to be dead :( I tested my water and took the fish back to my LFS and they tested as well and said the water was fine. I purchased a new neon blue dwarf gourami and acclimated him last night over a 40 minute period. This morning he was floating at the top of the tank with his mouth pointed at the ceiling and tail at the bottom of the tank. I watched him for a while and he just bobbed around until the filter flow pushed him under and he slowly floated back to the top. I reached in and touched him to see if he was just being goofy or something and there was no response. I assumed he was dead so I went to pull him out but when I touched both of his sides he darted about a foot away and started floating around again. I was happy to find that he was alive but am concerned he's not going to make it. Anyone every see this before or have any ideas? I used Prime to increase the slime coat and reduce harmful/stressful chemicals but there has been no improvement.

Do you use a liquid test kit? They're much more reliable than strips. What does his body look like? Anything seem wrong to you? The picture is kinda hard to tell, with distance and all.

Back
Top Bottom