gourami gone crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

My opaline gourami seems to just be hanging in 1 spot all the time. A few times i've walked past the tank and he is swimming like crazy and jumping and banging into the sides of the tank :( . His blue stripes are very very dark when he does this crazy buissness... but when hes just doing his usual thing like eating he goes back to pale blue.

Any clue with whats going on?

thanks,
annie

heres a pic of him in his little spot turning dark blue
img_1128725_0_0ef2b1802bf52fba86b70a8cd3e81896.jpg

My dwarf gourami does his little freak out thing too, he does it to chase the other fish away if I am near the tank.
When my gourami's belly gets dark, I know he is either stressed of I need to do a pwc. :) He's my little alarm fish.

mmm i checked the water and it was all good.. thats cool how he tells you hahaha.. i thought lenny was trying to tell me something but he just seems moody. He doesnt chase the other fish anymore tho. He just stays in that 1 spot and then dashes around.

and Poor bubbles is in solitary confindment, away from his homie shrimp because his tailrot was looking good then all of a sudden starting getting bad again.

I don't mean the water is bad, I just put fresh in, and he gets light again.
It's not really a fish chasing per se, but he freaks out, darts around the tank, and then goes back into his hidey spot in the plants too. He has done this ever since Elvis died and he is the only big fish in the tank now. I wonder if it's some sort of breeding thing?
BTW, he looks AWESOME all dotted up like that! Makes me want an opaline! :D

Aww, poor Bubbles, back in prison!

hehe.. sometimes i'll catch him all light and then he'll just sit there staring at me and gets darker and darker.. its freaky haha

actually i think it could be that he is the only big fish in the tank. I wish i could introduce more fish.. but it looks like i'm moving back to the other side of Australia for my bf's work. My poor fish :( i don't know what i'm going to do with them.. i'm even sad about having to get rid of my plants! haha.. the 1 anubias on driftwood has grown so much.. if i was to buy it in a store that size it is like $40-$50 AUS

Yikes! I have to move across the state too sometime next month, and I have already bought the battery powered air pumps so they can go with me. :D They probably won't LOVE the trip, but I am not leaving my babies LOL!
I think at least Bubbles would be able to make the trip! ;) He's too funny of a little dude to leave.

aww thats great! How far are you travelling?..

i don't think i can bring the fish :( .. we're going over by plane and getting the cars, furniture and stuff shipped over. If we were to drive, it would take about a week and most of the drive would be in the desert and places in the middle of nowhere haha.. and horrible toilets!.. horrible horrible never cleaned toilets!!!

You could probably ship them overnight on a plane too. Just a thought! Maybe they will let you bring Bubbles on the plane in a container? I didn't realize Australia was so big!!! Stinky toilets are no good! Ewww!

The trip across the state will take about 6 hours (400 miles), so not too bad. :)

haha i doubt they would let me on the plane with him hehe.. I was actually at the airport today dropping people off.. and security made me take my boots off because it has metal in the zips.. the floor was cold! and then while i was putting my boots back on another security guy was getting ready to do the explosion swab test on me.. gosh i'm just dropping people off!!!

well anyway.. i have found homes for my babies today :( .. Tomorrow i'm dropping the cories, guppies, shrimp and bubbles to a lady.. and the next day i have someone from another state picking up lenny and my plants. It's good cause they all seem nice but they are my babies! haha. And my tanks will be empty :| .. how horrible.

yes well aus isn't really that big.. but the side of australia i'm on right now all the states are fairly close together.. however the other side of australia is a little more isolated by deserts and nothingness. Where i need to go is a 4400km trip sooo about 2700 miles. Hardly any people or towns inbetween aswell.

krap101: I wouldn't have anywhere to put them.. it takes about a week or 2 for the furniture and everything to arrive. Maybe if i had the money i could arrange something.. but at the moment we're shipping alot as well as 2 big dogs.

You should come through the American security checks! You HAVE to take your shoes off every time, and take everything out of your pockets, and then go through the metal detector. You have to be at the airport 1-3 hours early....It's almost too much of a pain to travel!

Glad you found good homes for them so quickly!!! I really am going to miss the Bubbles stories though. :( Waahh....lol

The trip across the country sounds like the trip from me to Alaska! But instead of desert, it's filled with wilderness and nothingness!

I love the furry babies, they're adorable! I especially love the guy hiding out in the flower bed! HAHAHA!
I have two of my own, and the funny thing is I have 2 Australian Cattle/Blue Heelers! Hahaha!

ooooh.. i'm glad australian security isn't that hectic!.. It's suggested to get to the airport a half hour early.. and security usually takes maybe 5-10mins if its really busy.. and then the rest of the time it's shopping time till the plane leaves ;-)

The lady is going to get bubbles back up to health and then put him in a big community tank.. i can just imagine him having a good time chasing fish haha.

that furry guy in the flower bed is the grandpa of the younger one. He is very very old for a golden retriever but he still gallops around and plays.. very cute!.. and the young 1 is my little darling.. He grew up being told he was dumb by his first owners and never trained or walked.. But since i've gotten him.. he just takes a little extra patience to train... this week i taught him to recognise the numbers 1 and 2. He goes up and touches the number you tell him to :-D

OH and i forgot to say....

awwww you have some aussie's living with you! hehe.. they are very smart dogs the blue heelers!

I hope the lady knows Bubbles' history! HAHAHA!

You must take very good care of the older one for him to still be running around like that! That's GREAT! I don't think any dog is dumb, some are just more stubborn than others. He was probably smarter than the previous owners....LOL. That's awesome that he knows numbers!!! Some of my friends got a free retriever because he killed two pit bulls, but he was the sweetest dog, and all he did was push a big rock around with his nose all day haha!

My dogs are too smart for their own good! I love them even though they get themselves into trouble quite often, and I can't let them out when kids are around because they try to do their job of herding and ankle nipping. But alas, they are my babies and spoiled to death!

Well, since you found a home, and it might be too late, you could try having your neighbor/friend hold them until you're set up, but either way, good luck

I hope the lady knows Bubbles' history! HAHAHA!
haha.. bubbles better behave with her!.. I took the fish their today. She looks after her fish so well! I couldn't believe it!. her tanks are immaculate and well planted and ahhh.. i want her tanks haha!.. and she has some beautiful betta's!
she suggested that someone maybe able to ship bubbles over when we're settled and that she will look after him till then. So thats nice!.. my boyfriend told her he demands pictures and updates hahahaha she said of course!

But alas, they are my babies and spoiled to death!
They are just too cute not to spoil them!

Well, since you found a home, and it might be too late, you could try having your neighbor/friend hold them until you're set up, but either way, good luck
We haven't lived in this state for long and i don't know anyone that has fish.. but this lady said she'd look after him and if we can ship him over she'll organise it :)

Awww cute puppies :) Sorry you had to get rid of your fish :sad: I hope they will be in good homes.
The lady i left my fish with today is amazing!... My fish are going to have a great life!.

Lenny is getting picked up tomorrow.. and i will be fishless :(
I'm going to miss my babies! i'm looking through all the photo's i've taken off them :p

here's a pic of Lenny when he was smaller meeting a cat... he tried touching her with his "feelers" and tried showing off haha
img_1129809_0_25f322a6a2834cead001e7c9b73c857b.jpg

Aw :) I wish my cat would get curious about the tank.. my little Alejandro probably isn't big enough for her to see. She used to perch in front of the 55 and watch the kois swim around :) (yes i know now kois shouldn't be in a 55... i didn't know that then. they are in a pond now )

She used to perch in front of the 55 and watch the kois swim around
hehe cute!.
This was the first time she's ever seen a fish.. that last picture with her looking at the camera was just so hilarious.. she had a look on her face like "what.... is... THAT!?? O.O" and then she got over it and went back to staring at birds and wildlife through the windows haha.

Back
Top Bottom