Gourami Trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

relisefishies8897

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My grandma has a 50 gal freshie tank with:

1 dwarf gourami
2 emerald cories
2 julie cories
7 harlequin raspboras (questionable spelling)
1 gold barb
3 cherry barbs
1 shrimp
2 danios
3 ADFs
and possibly 2 Fire-belly newts
and snails

It's probably overcrowded I know and she knows but we're working on that. It's an Aqueon tank that we got as a kit. The water is slightly Alkaline but that's never been a problem so far. We've had the tank for a year and the water's been changed recently, she drains about half the waterline.

The problem is, this is our fourth gourami and I'm pretty sure they've all met the same fate but the last three I'm definitely for sure of. They all get bloated and stay primarily at the surface, the scales protrude out at odd angles and he has trouble staying upright. What's wrong with him?:( And is there anything we can do?:confused:

I don't know if this will lead you to finding the answer but the scales standing up are a definite sign of dropsy. It's always fatal (I believe!?). Do some research about it and see if that's what it is, and follow any advice you find to try and prevent it in future. Sorry that's not much help but hopefully will get you started.

Back
Top Bottom