gourami w/tail rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swmmnglessons

Aquarium Advice Regular
Talk about getting ripped - I haven't had my new giant gourami for 2 days and he has tail rot...pretty bad too. He's very skittish so I haven't been able to get a good look at him until this morning and noticed he has a red sore-like patch at the base of the side of his tail. The rest of the tail at that area is shredded and blackened, eaten away basically. I bought tetracycline to treat it because it was way cheaper than the maracyn and you don't have to give as many tablets either. I put him in a hospital tank alone and also treated the main tank with 2 capfuls of some greenish liquid that said it treats fin and tail rot and other fungus. Hope I did the right stuff...

Tail rot

We have a 55 gal tank at a doctor's office that I maintain. It is mostly gouramis. One of them came down with fin rot so I brought him home with me and treated him with tetracycline. He recovered within a week and was returned to his home. That was about 6 months ago and the gourami is still healthy. Note that this was not a giant but a blue...I don't think that would make a difference though. No other fish in the tank had any problems.
Logan J

Well I'm glad to say that the tetracycline worked and the gourami will be returning to his friends in the main tank tomorrow. The blackened part eventually fell of and isn't red anymore. Man, that tetracycline really turned the water red; it said it would and they weren't kidding. As for crazee's comment, I thought that myself so from now on I'll be buying from a place called the Aviarium. They're half fish, half birds and the owners seem very smart about everything. Heck, the lady rattled off the dimensions of practically every aquarium I asked about on one visit. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't return the fish to the store before trying to treat him.

Back
Top Bottom